Did you notice the increase in police presence at airport ?

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

Asawa & I recently flew out of Clark for a brief vacation to another country. One, guard and 4 PNP at the entrance door asking everyone for their travel documents, where are you traveling to, etc? If it happens to you as well, article below explains why.

Also,  Regarding E-Travel. No one asked to see her E-travel on Departure. Upon return, there was no E-travel station and no one asked to see our E-travel. 

Right under everyone’s noses: Tansingco calls for tightening police presence in airport premises to prevent trafficking

https://immigration.gov.ph/images/News/2023_Yr/07_Jul/2023Jul21_Press.pdf

PASAY, Philippines—Bureau of Immigration (BI) Commissioner Norman Tansingco called
on local law enforcement agencies to tighten security around the country’s efforts to fight
human trafficking.
Tansingco made the call after noticing that many trafficking victims recount how their
documents are handed to them in establishments within the airport complex.
“Hindi na dapat sila umaabot dito. Bago makarating ng airport ang biktima, ang dami
nang pinagdadaanan. Recruited via social media, magbabayaran via wire transfer, tapos mag-
aabutan ng pekeng dokumento sa labas ng airport,” said Tansingco. “We all have to open our
eyes because it’s happening right under our noses,” he added.
The BI Chief suggested strengthening undercover police presence around the airport
premises to detect traffickers who frequent the area.
“Iisa ang modus, paulit-ulit lang naman, at sa iisang lugar din sila nagkikita,” said
Tansingco. “To stop trafficking, you have to yank it from its roots and stomp on it hard,” he
added.
The agency earlier reported intercepting a female victim last July 17 after being
recruited to work in Dubai. The victim pretended to be a tourist bound for Singapore. Her
fraudulent documents were given to her right outside Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA)
Terminal 1.
He shared that they have already alerted the Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking
(IACAT) against the modus, with the latter committing to file cases against the recruiters.
“Fighting trafficking needs a whole-of-government approach,” said Tansingco. “It’s a
tiring and thankless job, and I think it’s necessary for everyone to step up and elevate our
game against these syndicates,” he added. #

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted (edited)

Back in 2015-2016 when my wife and I were dating, we were in and of the Phils frequently.  Never a hassle and never a bad experience at CRK or CEB.  Now, upon our soon return to Phils, the increased airport scrutiny might well cause us to travel less if we were still unmarried.

I'm all for combating trafficking, but -- and maybe it's just me:  I can't help feeling like I'm an innocent person wrongly perceived as guilty.  I even feel that way going through security in US airports.  I just can't chill out and roll with the time-killing and tiring security procedures.  I tried dreaming of flying Pan-Am in the sixties, but that just makes the reality worse.

I never thought when I married my Filipina that a significant benefit of our union would be freedom (?) from scrutiny as a trafficker exploiting a victim.

I recently read @Sailor Jerry's post about airport hassles with his GF.  If you see this, @Sailor Jerry, know that you have my admiration.  You have the right mindset for dealing with the Phils, and maybe life in general.

Edited by mountainside
  • Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

^

A YouTube Vlogger recently did a video about his 34 year old Phil Girlfriend getting pulled off a Flight to Bangkok at Manila Airport. It was a legitimate tourist trip. He said they never gave a reason and when he approached officials to ask why they told him it was not his concern.  There has been many news articles about trafficking and locals missing their flights because of long secondary investigations (Interrogations). It's why they are reminding everyone to ensure they arrive 3 hours prior to flights.

https://immigration.gov.ph/images/News/2023_Yr/07_Jul/2023Jul14_Press-B.pdf

Int’l passengers reminded to check-in 3 hours prior to flight –BI

PRESS RELEASE
14 July 2023
Int’l passengers reminded to check-in 3 hours prior to flight –BI
PASAY, Philippines—the Bureau of Immigration (BI) on Wednesday reminded departing
international passengers to check-in at least 3 hours prior to their flight.
BI Commissioner Norman Tansingco issued the reminder in response to a viral complaint
of a male passenger who alleged that he was left by his flight due to the conduct of secondary
inspection.
‘Upon verification with systems, it was confirmed that he checked in only 1 hour and 27
minutes prior to the boarding of his flight,” said Tansingco. “He was able to present himself for
primary inspection only 12 minutes prior to boarding time,” he added.
Secondary inspection is a standard security protocol conducted for passengers who may
have exhibited cautionary indicators, as part of the BI’s role under the Department of Justice –
Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking or IACAT.
“Our officers are trained to conduct inspections with efficiency and respect for
passengers' time, while also ensuring the utmost attention to security protocols,” said
Tansingco.
He then expressed his appreciation to airport authorities for expanding the immigration
area.
The BI shared that last year, its operations at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport
(NAIA) Terminal 3 had 26 counters, but with the expansions done by the Manila International
Airport Authority (MIAA), the number rose to 42 working stations.
“This improvement, as well as the anticipated further expansion of the immigration area,
will definitely allow us to add more immigration officers to service arriving and departing
passengers,” he stated. #

Edited by Rooster
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Rooster said:

BI Commissioner Norman Tansingco issued the reminder in response to a viral complaint
of a male passenger who alleged that he was left by his flight due to the conduct of secondary
inspection.
‘Upon verification with systems, it was confirmed that he checked in only 1 hour and 27
minutes prior to the boarding of his flight,” said Tansingco. “He was able to present himself for
primary inspection only 12 minutes prior to boarding time,” he added.

I was wanting to hear the other side of story. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Youngster
Posted
Posted

Currently in NAIA. I haven’t noticed too much of police presence, but the lines are extra long from counters to immigration.  Oh, and about that etravel registration, no one asked for it.  Maybe a different story coming back.

• Like 1