Ems went to a car boot sale

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Have we got any plans for Sunday she asked and straight away you know they have made plans to go somewhere and it usually don’t involve yourself , it’s either to someone’s house to eat and sing karaoke or girls shopping .

Anyway I thought let her do what she wants and said no plans just yet why what are you thinking , so and so asked me to go to a car boot with them and then my mind started to think  , what junk will she buy , anyway I thought it’s a few hours out chatting with her girls .

Sunday came and they had gone by 8-30 in the morning and never heard from her until she walked through the door at just before 6pm , talk about Steptoes cart , god knows how she managed to buy all that stuff for the £20 I gave her plus carrying it too, mugs , dishes, shelves and other stuff she sort of hidden from me , all stuff that I thought we would never need because we already have .

Well after a few words of why did you buy this and that and the lost look on her face she came out with those magical words we can send your old stuff to the Philippines, after a few deep breaths I managed to say just leave them in the bags and we shall sort it out later , it’s Monday morning Ems is at work and I’m sitting looking at this pile of things I did not know we needed , can’t even send them to the Philippines because of the cost involved plus they don’t want stuff like this they just want MONEY ,maybe if I trip over the step while carrying the bags that may help me 

• Love it 2
  • Haha 3

Gator
Posted
Posted

Open the boot of your own car and put the stuff in there. Sell it, for a profit, and then send the money to the Phils 🤣. But hurry, need to get it done before Ems get home! 

• Haha 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

...can’t even send them to the Philippines because of the cost involved plus they don’t want stuff like this they just want MONEY ,maybe if I trip over the step while carrying the bags that may help me 

Kind of similar - when we were planning our move from Hong Kong to here my wife was buying household stuff from Ikea left, right and centre, clothes for out then 2 1/2 year old son as well as god knows how many pairs of underwear for me (I still have 2 small drawers full of unworn undies). In Hong Kong every Sunday there were large groups of mostly females filling up Balikbyan boxes with similar as well as toiletries of all description.  Now, Hong Kong is not cheap so I can't see any economic advantage and, most importantly, there are countless places to buy the very same products here.  OK, some of those ladies may live in remote areas but not all of them surely, and my wife certainly not.

I genuinely don't get it. 

• Like 1

BLM
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Kind of similar - when we were planning our move from Hong Kong to here my wife was buying household stuff from Ikea left, right and centre, clothes for out then 2 1/2 year old son as well as god knows how many pairs of underwear for me (I still have 2 small drawers full of unworn undies). In Hong Kong every Sunday there were large groups of mostly females filling up Balikbyan boxes with similar as well as toiletries of all description.  Now, Hong Kong is not cheap so I can't see any economic advantage and, most importantly, there are countless places to buy the very same products here.  OK, some of those ladies may live in remote areas but not all of them surely, and my wife certainly not.

I genuinely don't get it. 

That stuff came from out in the world. Like stuff from the USA, it could be Chinese made things, but the fact that it was shipped from outside the Philippines adds some kind of magic to it, and it's worth the extra cost to ship it, no matter how much. I always get the confused stare when I try to explain the situation to a local.  

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted

My wife does this once every couple of months or so. Spends $30-$40 bucks. She goes with friends and has a good time. No harm no foul.

fototek1
Posted
Posted

I go to the Yard Sales with my wife. When I am there and she picks something up I just say, "Where are you going to put it?" half the stuff gets put down and the other half she has a plan for. She buys a fair amount of used Coach bags, nice dresses and nice shoes and brings them as passaloubong. Women get so excited when they think they get a deal. I bought 2 or 3 things in the 10+ years of doing this. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We did 3 or 4 when we were leaving the UK to dispose of stuff we didn't want or need.  It was fun and we were able to pocket a little money.  But, I had zero interest in buying other folks' stuff.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

How much do these bring at the car boot sale?

Screenshot (1092).png

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Just be thankful that Em did not bring home two puppies because "they were cute and one would be lonely by himself".    Previous life, previous wife. :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1