Funeral cost

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just planning ahead that’s all ,  but what are the cost if someone dies in the Philippines and is there a difference whether it’s a local or a foreigner too and if that person died at home or a hospital, plus the big question is who pays for this too.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I've helped bury quite a few foreigners in concrete tombs.  Never cost more than 30,000 pesos which was usually paid for by passing the hat to the other foreigners there.  That's because all the foreigners I knew did not want a big event with a lot of cost.  Locals, on the other hand, want loads of pomp and ceremony and it costs much more.

• Like 3

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I've helped bury quite a few foreigners in concrete tombs.  Never cost more than 30,000 pesos which was usually paid for by passing the hat to the other foreigners there.  That's because all the foreigners I knew did not want a big event with a lot of cost.  Locals, on the other hand, want loads of pomp and ceremony and it costs much more.

I've' only been around the Philippine community for 33 years...."Pomp and Ceremony"?

I've paid more for Philippine birthdays than most funerals.....Seems they are the hierarchy of all holidays. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MotorSarge said:

I've' only been around the Philippine community for 33 years...."Pomp and Ceremony"?

Foreigner dies, friends come for a drink and one night of toasting the man's life.  Then he's put in the ground with a small gathering in attendance.

Filipino dies, friends come for a week of gambling and drinking and donating.  Then they have a huge parade to the cemetery, fancy casket, priest and and an expensive meal.

I helped out at 6 foreigner funerals and attended 4 Filipino funerals that I recall.  People were dying to be around me :hystery: 

One thing that did annoy me, were the foreigners who would not throw 1,000 pesos in the hat to help bury other expats nor help out with the details.  Each to their own, I guess.  It wasn't a fun thing to do but it had to be done.  BTW, the last expat funeral I helped with in the Philippines was about 6 years ago so prices have likely gone up.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 5