Barking Noisy neighbors Dog in The Philippines - Solved

hk blues
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Rooster said:

We went to the Barangay about 6 months ago to complain, ask what can be done about the neighbors non stop barking noisy Dog. Brgy Captain said he would handle it.  No action was taken. Two weeks ago, we complained again, the Brgy sent a Tanod to ask the neighbor to keep the dog quiet. No action. One week ago, the wife went to the city hall to get a copy of the city ordinance for noisy dogs and the Mayors office directed her to go to the City Veterinarian Office, that the new policy in the Philippines is City Vets now handle dog complaints.

Wife proceeded to City Vets office. Vet confirmed they handle all Dog complaints. The documented the complaint and told my wife they would handle it. In fact, the Vet said she had to get rid of her own dog because of noise complaints from her neighbors.

Yesterday, the City Vet went to The Barangay and got the Brgy Captain to accompany her to the neighbors house. They instructed the neighbor that they had one week to correct laws that were being broken and find another location for the noisy dog or they would seize the dog. 

The Dog has vanished. In fact, we saw that while in they area, there we 2 stray dogs roaming the area not on a leash. They asked who the dogs belonged to, no one knew and they seized the 2 dogs to take to the city Dog pound.

There are noise laws for nuisance, noisy dogs.  I also provided a few links to use if any other Expats also have noisy/stray dogs in their area. File a report with the City Vet for action.

https://paws.org.ph/prosecution/

https://paws.org.ph/

https://www.nnc.gov.ph/regional-offices/mindanao/region-ix-zamboanga-peninsula/5956-animals-do-have-rights-too

I'm happy it worked out for you.

We don't really have such an issue with dogs but if we did I would be slightly hesitant to raise an official complaint as I don't like to have a bad relationship with the neighbours. I full recognise this is an enabling behaviour on my part. 

• Like 4

Rooster
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm happy it worked out for you.

We don't really have such an issue with dogs but if we did I would be slightly hesitant to raise an official complaint as I don't like to have a bad relationship with the neighbours. I full recognise this is an enabling behaviour on my part. 

I see it as the neighbor with the nuisance dog is the one provoking a bad relationship with the other neighbors.  Wouldn't you agree? Not only was he breaking Philippine laws, but the A-hole had Zero consideration for his neighbors.  Other neighbors have already came to the house to thank the wife.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Rooster said:

I see it as the neighbor with the nuisance dog is the one provoking a bad relationship with the other neighbors.  Wouldn't you agree? Not only was he breaking Philippine laws, but the A-hole had Zero consideration for his neighbors.  Other neighbors have already came to the house to thank the wife.

I would agree...which is why I said in my post my attitude is an enabling behaviour. 

It's also a sad thing that the other neighbours were quick to thank your wife but how many of them took the initiative in the 1st place to address the issue?  I've experienced that a fair bit here with bringing to the attention of the HOA some issues.

The fact you've called him out as an A-hole suggests there was no relationship anyway so no loss.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

A bit confused. :89:  The links refer to "rights of dogs". food, shelter, etc.  Did the vet get involved because the dog was continually barking (a nuisance) or because the dog was being abused in some manner or not being properly cared for?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

A known burglar was being interviewed by a reporter and he was asked, "What if there is a vicious barking dog?  Do you throw a piece of meat?"  His reply, "No.  A piece of bread with peanut butter on both sides.  The dog will try to swallow the bread and it would get stuck."  I have been waiting for the opportunity to try this, but no luck.

• Like 2

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

A known burglar was being interviewed by a reporter and he was asked, "What if there is a vicious barking dog?  Do you throw a piece of meat?"  His reply, "No.  A piece of bread with peanut butter on both sides.  The dog will try to swallow the bread and it would get stuck."  I have been waiting for the opportunity to try this, but no luck.

There have been cases in Philippine news where autopsies of dogs or cats were done and criminal investigations resulted in prosecution and prison.  It's always best to follow the law, report the nuisance to the city Vet and let them handle it.

This guy just got 1 year in prison for killing a dog during a burglary. Article fails to mention that he got any punishment for the burglary.  https://www.philstar.com/nation/2023/07/14/2280983/dog-killer-gets-1-year-prison

Edited by Rooster

Rooster
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

A bit confused. :89:  The links refer to "rights of dogs". food, shelter, etc.  Did the vet get involved because the dog was continually barking (a nuisance) or because the dog was being abused in some manner or not being properly cared for?

The Vet showed up, observed the barking, spoke with other neighbors, then acted based on the dog being a nuisance The Civil Code of The Philippines Articles 694 & 695 and or a City ordinance on nuisance noise or dog ownership may apply.  https://chanrobles.com/civilcodeofthephilippines.htm

If the dog is nuisance barking based on neglect. abuse, being chained to a tree on a 6 inch chain then https://paws.org.ph/prosecution/ could be used. 

My thoughts just go to the city Vet and let them provide the best option to deal with a nuisance dog and just hope for a positive outcome.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Rooster said:

This guy just got 1 year in prison for killing a dog during a burglary. Article fails to mention that he got any punishment for the burglary. 

I have no plans killing a dog while attempting a robbery.  If one came into my backyard and ate a peanut butter sandwich from our patio table, that's his problem.  This is theoretical since we are homeless.  

longway
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JJReyes said:

If one ate a peanut butter sandwich from our patio table.

Unintended consequence, Dog learns that if it barks loud enough and long enough it gets a PB&J sandwich.

• Haha 3