Hydroponic Growing

Possum
Posted
Posted

Looking for info on hydroponic growing. Most of the info I see is about growing lettuce, I guess that us because there is a market for it. But we want to grow tomatoes, cucumbers as well as lettuce for home use. Any information as to hydroponic supplies, chemicals etc would be appreciated

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Prior to moving here I also thought it would be a excellent idea to grow vegetables via hydroponics and/or via aquaponics.   Like you I found that 99% of the folks are growing nothing but lettuce.  I am not saying it can't be done but the reality is that if it were easily done the people here in the Philippines who have invested in the tech would be growing a variety of veggies and not just lettuce. 

I purchased a book from Amazon that went into a lot of detail about growing via aquaponics.   Also a Facebook group called "Hydroponics for beginners"

IMG_20230821_063248.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I recently viewed on YouTube a huge elaborate hydrophobic farm in Philippines. They would likely know.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Mike J said:

who have invested in the tech

When I read the title of the topic, my immediate thought was "the cost of electricity". During the pandemic the wife started with the "lets grow house plants" hobby. She got some expensive delicate plant and installed 5 of those grow lights. Our electric bill went up about 3000 pesos (naturally i kept my mouth shut). 

I know absolutely nothing about hydroponics, just my first thought.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, scott h said:

When I read the title of the topic, my immediate thought was "the cost of electricity". During the pandemic the wife started with the "lets grow house plants" hobby. She got some expensive delicate plant and installed 5 of those grow lights. Our electric bill went up about 3000 pesos (naturally i kept my mouth shut). 

I know absolutely nothing about hydroponics, just my first thought.

Water is what's needed and not electricity. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Possum said:

Looking for info on hydroponic growing. Most of the info I see is about growing lettuce, I guess that us because there is a market for it. But we want to grow tomatoes, cucumbers as well as lettuce for home use. Any information as to hydroponic supplies, chemicals etc would be appreciated

We have an interesting hydroponic garden here in SBFZ.  It is on top of a building and inside a greenhouse.  I visited a few years ago and have been meaning to go back.  At that time, they did have a few varieties of lettuce and I think they had some others.

I don't think the electricity would be too bad in a greenhouse.  Probably some pumps and some lighting for working at night.  Scott is thinking about when he was growing weed in his fully enclosed garage with massive grow lights.

Side note, a friend here in PH had a really nice house in a rural Sacramento area.  He rented it out to someone and they turned it into a grow house.  Totally wrecked it.

• Haha 2