Baguio Visits Versus Baguio Life.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

Ok Elders,

I only spent 3 visits to Baguio since 2019 and loved it, each no less than a week, very different Neiborhood's over the crown each time.

Do we have any members that have spent long or short-term vacation/ or live perspective?

Any members here who are permanent of Baguio?

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted

I spent maybe a month there in stays of 3-5 days each time.  That was in the period 1995-2000.  Always found it very nice to visit and did see it as potentially a place to live some day. Stayed at a couple of places.  One, I recall, was the Venus Parkview Hotel.  It was okay back then.  Not sure if it's still there.

I have heard that it is now less "green" than it used to be.  Many of the pine trees cut down.  But, maybe not really the case.  I don't know.  I am sure its population has grown in the past 23 years or so.  

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted

Have heard of huge traffic jams, shortage of water, and piles of trash everywhere (kinda like the rest of the PI, LOL)

Businesses that try to capture every tourist dollar have crammed into every square inch of space-----some parks have been all but over run.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Hestecrefter said:

I spent maybe a month there in stays of 3-5 days each time.  That was in the period 1995-2000.  Always found it very nice to visit and did see it as potentially a place to live some day. Stayed at a couple of places.  One, I recall, was the Venus Parkview Hotel.  It was okay back then.  Not sure if it's still there.

I have heard that it is now less "green" than it used to be.  Many of the pine trees cut down.  But, maybe not really the case.  I don't know.  I am sure its population has grown in the past 23 years or so.  

I have spent quite a bit of time in Baguio over the past 10 years as we have family there.  The main thing that has gotten worse there is traffic.  Less green, not really.  They don't allow tree cutting.  There was a big controversy a few years ago when SM expanded and cut down some trees.  People were up in arms about it but of course they got away with it.

Since the big earthquake in 1990, they have built like crazy.  Building 4-5 story apartments on steep slopes and ridges.  Seems like they are setting themselves up for another disaster.

My favorite thing to do there is go driving outside in the mountains.  Good roads, no traffic, and nice scenery.

1 hour ago, Lee said:

Have heard of huge traffic jams, shortage of water, and piles of trash everywhere (kinda like the rest of the PI, LOL)

Businesses that try to capture every tourist dollar have crammed into every square inch of space-----some parks have been all but over run.

Bad traffic, yes, but it can be mitigated if you know how.  Water is managed with water tanks, just like in many cities.  My BIL owns and manages about 10 units and water is not an issue.  If needed, they have commercial water trucks that will fill your tanks.  He saves a lot of rainwater which they have plenty of.

To me, Baguio is a clean city.  Piles of trash?  Maybe if you went to the famous flower festival, before they clean up.

Burnham Park has recently been improved.  For such a popular place, it seems clean to me.  Sure, you see some littering but not as bad as most places.

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

I thank all you guys for your great info of your own perspectives.....(especially Hesty & Lee.... old LITF members) :cheersty:

Seen some moderate traffic each time, No concern for me as I'm retired, and in the past, lived in big Metros in the States, Seoul SK., Frankfort GE,....etc..

Seen piles of trash only on trash days. (first time I've seen live large rats since the 80s from living in the North East US....:shades:)

Only spent 4 days each time with one day of scoping the neighborhoods.

Can be endless journey/competition mind you if looking for a temporary or permanent type stay as Baguio is in high demand of money laden expats and other so clienteles.:shades:.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
Just now, MotorSarge said:

I thank all you guys for your great info of your own perspectives.....(especially Hesty & Lee.... old LITF members) :cheersty:

Seen some moderate traffic each time, No concern for me as I'm retired, and in the past, lived in big Metros in the States, Seoul SK., Frankfort GE,....etc..

Seen piles of trash only on trash days. (first time I've seen live large rats since the 80s from living in the North East US....:shades:)

Only spent 4 days each time with one day of scoping the neighborhoods.

Can be endless journey/competition mind you if looking for a temporary or permanent type stay as Baguio is in high demand of money laden expats and other so clienteles.:shades:.

My biggest issue was dogshit in the of side streets...:Mad:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

My biggest issue was dogshit in the of side streets.

Where is this not an issue??

hmmm.gif

• Like 1