Driver's License Renewal

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Has anyone done this recently and how much of a hassle was it if you did?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Has anyone done this recently and how much of a hassle was it if you did?

Not recently, but I understand the LTO has extended the extension for a year due to lack of plastic license.  After reading the article I am still trying to determine if you have to actually renew and carry a "receipt".  Or is your existing license good for an extra year.  Once again rules/regulation are unclear and/or confusing. :89:

https://pia.gov.ph/news/2023/09/11/lto-issues-guidelines-on-extension-of-drivers-license#:~:text=In a memorandum dated September,subject of a separate memorandum.”

QUEZON CITY, (PIA)--Land Transportation Office chief Assistant Secretary Atty. Vigor Mendoza II directed all regional directors and heads of district offices of the agency to implement the extension of the validity of driver’s license.

In a memorandum dated September 6, Mendoza said, “All expired driver’s/conductor’s licenses that expired on 03 April 2023 shall continue to be valid until 02 April 2024 or until such time availability of plastic cards is sufficient, which will be the subject of a separate memorandum.”

Mendoza noted that no collection of penalties for the abovementioned licenses shall be undertaken.

Mendoza further tasked concerned LTO personnel that the system generated driver’s license official receipt shall be stamped or printed with “Valid as Temporary Driver’s License Until Plastic Card is Released,” and that it should include the following details:

- The name of the issuing office, contact personnel/mobile phone number/email address;

- The name and signature of the releasing officer; and

- A screenshot of the client’s driver’s license card (front and back) printed at the back of the official receipt.

Meanwhile, the LTO chief also said that the old or expired driver’s license card must be returned to the owner and shall be valid until the new plastic card is released.

The DOTr and the LTO are currently working together to address the backlog in the driver’s license due to shortage of plastic cards that are being used to print it.

The DOTr earlier initiated the procurement of five million pieces of plastic cards that Mendoza said are more than enough to wipe out the backlog by early next year. The LTO, on the other hand, facilitated the distribution of the delivered plastic cards.

“Patuloy na gumagawa ng paraan ang inyong DOTr at ang inyong LTO upang matugunan sa lalong madaling panahon ang ating kinakaharap na hamon ukol sa driver’s license. Makakasa ang ating mga kababayang motorista na sa mga action plan na ito, laging isinasa-alang-alang ang inyong kapakanan,” said Mendoza. (lto/pia-ncr)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

More info that is sort of related to this topic.  If you arrive during business hours you MUST be served.  No cutoffs or daily quotas. 

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1209814

CEBU CITY – To fully implement the law on ease of doing transactions for car registrations and driver’s licenses, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) in Central Visayas has strictly imposed the “no cut-off” policy in its regional, division and satellite offices, an official said Wednesday.

LTO-7 regional director Glen Galario said under the new policy, LTO employees are obliged to accommodate all clients during office hours and warned them against the illegal practice of “quota system”, which sets the number of transactions the office will serve in a day.

Galario said he issued an office order prohibiting such practice in all offices of the LTO in the region.

The order also mandates the maximization of site support and fast communication methods for every transaction requiring confirmation or verification from other LTO offices.

“This (quota and cut-off system) is a clear violation of Section 9 (f) of the Republic Act (RA) No. 11032, otherwise known as the Ease of Doing Business and Efficient Government Service Delivery Act of 2018,” Galario said.

He said all clients who arrive at their respective office premises within the official working hours must be served and attended to even during noon break or past the regular working hours in the afternoon.

In his order, Galario said that if the completion of processing transactions exceeds the regular operating hours, “the personnel attending to such transactions shall be entitled to overtime pay subject to the usual accounting and audit guidelines.”

He said advising clients to go to other LTO offices or any automatic refusal to accept transactions, and distribution of priority numbers before office hours or outside the office premises are strictly prohibited.

“The use of fast communication methods such phone calls, Messenger, Viber or other similar means should be maximized to fast track the processing of LTO transactions,” he added.

Galario issued the order after his office received mounting complaints from applicants of being asked to return the next day or go to other LTO offices that can accommodate their applications for a driver's license or car registration since they have reached the quota for that day.

Personnel who will not comply with his order will face administrative cases, he added. (PNA)

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Mike J said:

Not recently, but I understand the LTO has extended the extension for a year due to lack of plastic license.  After reading the article I am still trying to determine if you have to actually renew and carry a "receipt".  Or is your existing license good for an extra year.  Once again rules/regulation are unclear and/or confusing. :89:

https://pia.gov.ph/news/2023/09/11/lto-issues-guidelines-on-extension-of-drivers-license#:~:text=In a memorandum dated September,subject of a separate memorandum.”

QUEZON CITY, (PIA)--Land Transportation Office chief Assistant Secretary Atty. Vigor Mendoza II directed all regional directors and heads of district offices of the agency to implement the extension of the validity of driver’s license.

In a memorandum dated September 6, Mendoza said, “All expired driver’s/conductor’s licenses that expired on 03 April 2023 shall continue to be valid until 02 April 2024 or until such time availability of plastic cards is sufficient, which will be the subject of a separate memorandum.”

Mendoza noted that no collection of penalties for the abovementioned licenses shall be undertaken.

Mendoza further tasked concerned LTO personnel that the system generated driver’s license official receipt shall be stamped or printed with “Valid as Temporary Driver’s License Until Plastic Card is Released,” and that it should include the following details:

- The name of the issuing office, contact personnel/mobile phone number/email address;

- The name and signature of the releasing officer; and

- A screenshot of the client’s driver’s license card (front and back) printed at the back of the official receipt.

Meanwhile, the LTO chief also said that the old or expired driver’s license card must be returned to the owner and shall be valid until the new plastic card is released.

The DOTr and the LTO are currently working together to address the backlog in the driver’s license due to shortage of plastic cards that are being used to print it.

The DOTr earlier initiated the procurement of five million pieces of plastic cards that Mendoza said are more than enough to wipe out the backlog by early next year. The LTO, on the other hand, facilitated the distribution of the delivered plastic cards.

“Patuloy na gumagawa ng paraan ang inyong DOTr at ang inyong LTO upang matugunan sa lalong madaling panahon ang ating kinakaharap na hamon ukol sa driver’s license. Makakasa ang ating mga kababayang motorista na sa mga action plan na ito, laging isinasa-alang-alang ang inyong kapakanan,” said Mendoza. (lto/pia-ncr)

8 hours ago, Mike J said:

More info that is sort of related to this topic.  If you arrive during business hours you MUST be served.  No cutoffs or daily quotas. 

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1209814

CEBU CITY – To fully implement the law on ease of doing transactions for car registrations and driver’s licenses, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) in Central Visayas has strictly imposed the “no cut-off” policy in its regional, division and satellite offices, an official said Wednesday.

LTO-7 regional director Glen Galario said under the new policy, LTO employees are obliged to accommodate all clients during office hours and warned them against the illegal practice of “quota system”, which sets the number of transactions the office will serve in a day.

Galario said he issued an office order prohibiting such practice in all offices of the LTO in the region.

The order also mandates the maximization of site support and fast communication methods for every transaction requiring confirmation or verification from other LTO offices.

“This (quota and cut-off system) is a clear violation of Section 9 (f) of the Republic Act (RA) No. 11032, otherwise known as the Ease of Doing Business and Efficient Government Service Delivery Act of 2018,” Galario said.

He said all clients who arrive at their respective office premises within the official working hours must be served and attended to even during noon break or past the regular working hours in the afternoon.

In his order, Galario said that if the completion of processing transactions exceeds the regular operating hours, “the personnel attending to such transactions shall be entitled to overtime pay subject to the usual accounting and audit guidelines.”

He said advising clients to go to other LTO offices or any automatic refusal to accept transactions, and distribution of priority numbers before office hours or outside the office premises are strictly prohibited.

“The use of fast communication methods such phone calls, Messenger, Viber or other similar means should be maximized to fast track the processing of LTO transactions,” he added.

Galario issued the order after his office received mounting complaints from applicants of being asked to return the next day or go to other LTO offices that can accommodate their applications for a driver's license or car registration since they have reached the quota for that day.

Personnel who will not comply with his order will face administrative cases, he added. (PNA)

7 hours ago, scott h said:

Just renewed mine last week. Was easier than the last time I renewed it in the states. lol

Just register on the website. Go to your nearest LTO, (dont wear a tank top, I got sent home for that lol) Take your blood pressure, eye exam (cost 500 pesos), take a 25 question online exam (there were only 3 driving related questions lol. that is for another topic) mostly common sense. Go upstairs (at my LTO) get a picture taken, pay 580 pesos, wait 10 minutes and your done.

As mentioned no new cards available, they gave me a colored xerox of the new license and said just laminate it.

Take your Acr card and old license.

Bottom line, if I didnt have to go home twice to change my shirt, then get my Acr card, I would have been done in about 2 hours. (I live withing walking distance of our LTO) using our Senior front of the line privileges.

So.............surprisingly efficient

Thanks for your responses! My particular problem now is that I try to register online and it says I am already registered - oh really?

So I tried telling the website that I lost my password and could they send me a new one or the application for a new one..... They say they will send me an application for a new password to my e-mail but I never get it. All I get is an error message that "an error has occurred." I never signed up to register before so I don't know what is going on. I guess I can go in and do it the hard way by hanging out at LTO for the better part of a day to deal with this, but it is a bit frustrating.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for your responses! My particular problem now is that I try to register online and it says I am already registered - oh really?

So I tried telling the website that I lost my password and could they send me a new one or the application for a new one..... They say they will send me an application for a new password to my e-mail but I never get it. All I get is an error message that "an error has occurred." I never signed up to register before so I don't know what is going on. I guess I can go in and do it the hard way by hanging out at LTO for the better part of a day to deal with this, but it is a bit frustrating.

Tommy - on the LTO Portal there is a Contact Us section where you can email queries without logging in - maybe you can try that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

Tommy - on the LTO Portal there is a Contact Us section where you can email queries without logging in - maybe you can try that. 

Thanks for the suggestion HK. I already tried that two days ago and so far no response..... So maybe Tuesday I will bring a book to entertain me and prepare to siti in the endless lines as I await my turn to renew. It's frustrating when they have "online registration," which really just short cuts a few things along the way. At least, once I have done this, I should be okay for 10 years....that oughta be enough for me...

• Like 2

Youngster
Posted
Posted (edited)

I renewed 2 weeks ago.  Submitted medical certificate, expiring license and took a written test.  Passed and received a printout of a receipt and license on it. Also, anyone with active license can log into/create an account on LTO Portal and access their digital license which can be used legally in place of physical card. https://ltoportal.ph/lto-digital-drivers-license-id/

edit:  also wanted to state that this 10 year license is sweet.

Edited by Youngster
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

So I cannot log into the online LTO system. Do I need to somehow show an image of my current, valid license. I keep getting messages that I am already registered, but I never registered online before. And it won't let me register online - I keep getting error messages. Any clues would be helpful.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

So I cannot log into the online LTO system. Do I need to somehow show an image of my current, valid license. I keep getting messages that I am already registered, but I never registered online before. And it won't let me register online - I keep getting error messages. Any clues would be helpful.

I registered about 2 months ago without any issue.  But, that was just before the digital licence was introduced so perhaps everyone with a licence was auto-registered in the system when they introduced the digital licence which would explain why you are getting the message that you have already registered.  That's my best guess, Tommy.

I'd recommend you go to local LTO and sort it out with them, painful as that may be!