New scam alert! BDO warns against fake emails on failed bank transactions

Lee
Posted
Posted

A private bank warned its clients about the circulation of fake notification emails regarding transactions.

BDO Unibank, or BDO said that this email claims that clients have failed bank transactions to scam them. The scam email also contains the bank’s logo, slogan and name to make it look legitimate.

In its advisory, the bank showed that the fake one resembles the official BDO alerts it sends users about account transactions.

Moreover, the unofficial email also contains a supposed reference number.

The subject of the email reads: “Security information regarding your account.”

Part of the scam email reads: “Unfortunately, we are unable to process your BDO Online Banking due to security reasons. As a result, your account has been locked and is suspended.”

BDO reminded users not to trust emails from unofficial BDO senders.

The names of legitimate BDO senders are:

BDO

BDO Alert

BDO Deals

BDO OTP [one-time password]

The institution also strongly advised clients against clicking any link provided by fraudulent senders.

“DON’T TRUST emails from unofficial BDO senders. DON’T CLICK LINKS,” BDO said.

BDO has been proactive online in warning the public about the proliferation of fake bank emails, text messages and social media posts using its logo to scam Filipinos.

New scam alert! BDO warns against fake emails on failed bank transactions (msn.com)

• Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

This could be solved if banks and other businesses stopped spamming their customers with unwanted advertising spam and made it publically clear the only SMS they'll ever send is for the purposes of 2FA/OTP.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

stopped spamming their customers

Well said, almost daily I get "use your card and get 20% off" usually at a resturant in cebu.........lol,,,I live in Manila:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 4

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

I have been getting spam texts and emails since 2018.  I have never had a Philippine bank account and the only place the I ever gave my email address was at the immigration office.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

I've been getting those for years.  There are a lot for BDO but other banks too.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Given the amount of media coverage about such scams over the past years, I tend to think that natural selection comes into play for those who are scammed.  I don't get many scam messages, maybe 5 or 6 a week, but they are easily spotted and even easier to ignore! 

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I’ll repeat it here. I get about one or two of those  fake text messages from BDO per week. I only have an account here with BPI so of course I know right away they’re a scam. But what I find odd is that I never got any of them or from other scammers until I registered my phone! 

It leads me to believe the telcos have been hacked or some of their employees are selling numbers. And of course robo callers / spammers exist here too. Maybe it’s easier for the robo spammers to operate here now that ppl have to register their phones. I thought by registering then it was supposed to cut down or eliminate them.

What annoys me is there’s no easy way to report them; at least to Smart. Would be nice if the option to “report and block” was offered right on your phone.  Instead you need to go to their website (which is often down), fill out a lengthy form and send a screen shot of the spammers message. I tried it once and won’t be bothered again. It took 4 attempts for the creen shot to upload and each time I had to start from scratch. For now I’ll just continue to block n delete the messages. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Gator said:

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I’ll repeat it here. I get about one or two of those  fake text messages from BDO per week. I only have an account here with BPI so of course I know right away they’re a scam. But what I find odd is that I never got any of them or from other scammers until I registered my phone! 

It leads me to believe the telcos have been hacked or some of their employees are selling numbers. And of course robo callers / spammers exist here too. Maybe it’s easier for the robo spammers to operate here now that ppl have to register their phones. I thought by registering then it was supposed to cut down or eliminate them.

What annoys me is there’s no easy way to report them; at least to Smart. Would be nice if the option to “report and block” was offered right on your phone.  Instead you need to go to their website (which is often down), fill out a lengthy form and send a screen shot of the spammers message. I tried it once and won’t be bothered again. It took 4 attempts for the creen shot to upload and each time I had to start from scratch. For now I’ll just continue to block n delete the messages. 

On my Samsung phone with Globe Sim there is the option to Block and Report - I've never tried to though so cannot comment if it requires further steps.

• Like 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted

My wife has an account at BPI that we use when we travel there. The have been bombarding us with fraud warning emails, too.

• Like 1