Population pyramid Philippines

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Found this while doing some research.  You can choose other countries as well.  Interesting to see how the shapes vary depending on how advanced the economic conditions are for the country.    Source   https://www.populationpyramid.net/philippines/2023/

image.png

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Countries that have a shape similar to the US and Australia (it's similar to the US, I had a look) have real issues heading into the future with regards to aged care as well as general services and infrastructure.  Many countries attempt to address the problem with immigration from countries with a shape similar to that of PI. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Countries that have a shape similar to the US and Australia (it's similar to the US, I had a look) have real issues heading into the future with regards to aged care as well as general services and infrastructure.  Many countries attempt to address the problem with immigration from countries with a shape similar to that of PI. 

Japan is in bad shape in that regard.   Adding to the challenge for Japan is their reluctance to accept immigration and treatment of immigrants by society at large. 

image.png

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

The dreaded inflow of illegal Hispanic immigrants causes politicians to express rage and generate fear among voters.  But it is this young, cheap labor that will be needed to care for America's elderly.  Baby boomers are retiring at the rate of 10,000 per day.  Per day!  In 15 to 20 years, they will need assisted care.  Undocumented workers are actually a blessing.

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted

If one throws their arms up and surrenders to the sky falling then I guess we're doomed.  Medical advances and technology have made great strides in allowing people to bypass and avoid making nursing homes (or daily nursing care) a lock in if one lives long enough.  Yes, there are many that will need assistance... and I would agree not everyone will be able to avoid it.... but this isn't 1980 or even 2000... people can do a lot for themselves, and combined with medical advances and technology it doesn't have to be the way it was.  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Japan is in bad shape in that regard.   Adding to the challenge for Japan is their reluctance to accept immigration and treatment of immigrants by society at large. 

image.png

Japan is an interesting one.  I teach Japanese students and each time this topic comes up I try to discuss with them that the problem is temporary in that as the population ages it is also shrinking so the number of old people will inevitably drop as will the number of people in each age category, including children.  Given that elderly healthcare and education are perhaps the 2 key areas of expense for both government and individuals, the amount needed for each will also drop - less kids means less schools, less elderly means less hospitals.  The other side of the equation is that government revenue will drop but I guess there is still a net benefit as expenditure outstrips income. None of my students seem to agree with me. 

Am I wrong, and if so what am I missing?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Japan is an interesting one.  I teach Japanese students and each time this topic comes up I try to discuss with them that the problem is temporary in that as the population ages it is also shrinking so the number of old people will inevitably drop as will the number of people in each age category, including children.  Given that elderly healthcare and education are perhaps the 2 key areas of expense for both government and individuals, the amount needed for each will also drop - less kids means less schools, less elderly means less hospitals.  The other side of the equation is that government revenue will drop but I guess there is still a net benefit as expenditure outstrips income. None of my students seem to agree with me. 

Am I wrong, and if so what am I missing?

The fertility rate among Japanese woman has been dropping for decades and is now at 1.367 births per woman.  So the population is shrinking at the same time the population of elderly, as a percentage of the population, continues to grow.  So fewer people are entering the work force while at the same time more people are required to take care of the elderly.   The government is trying to raise the fertility rate and making efforts to bring in immigrant workers.   A fertility rate of 2.1 is required for a population to remain stable without immigration.

<snip>Japan is investing around 3.5 trillion yen in a push to increase the number of children. The country's acute population problem is getting worse quicker than expected. The Japanese government on Thursday announced specific measures to curb falling birth rates by boosting financial support for households with children.<end snip>

<snip>In Japan, the government's international cooperation agency has estimated the country needs 6.74 million foreign workers by 2040 if the economy is to reach growth targets for that year.<end snip>

<snip>

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

longway
Posted
Posted

From a different perspective ; In Both the U.S. and the Philippines the number of Males out number Females until age 55. So if you are a male looking for a date, look at females over age 55, The Odds will be in your favor.:whistling:

• Haha 2

samatm
Posted
Posted
On 9/22/2023 at 5:45 AM, BrettGC said:

i saw this for China...and it is scary..  .. the pyramid is nearly inverted  or will be in in the next 20 years.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

The whole globe will eventually be speaking Mandarin....:popcorn:

• Like 1