Back to paper licenses: Court issues injunction vs LTO's plastic card procurement

Lee
Posted
Posted

Talk about short-lived reprieves: A Quezon City Regional Trial Court branch has now issued a preliminary injunction against the driver’s license plastic card supply deal between the Land Transportation Office (LTO) and Banner Plasticard.

Basically, for those expecting to get their driver’s licenses in plastic card form after the LTO issued a new renewal schedule earlier this month and assured it already has a steady supply of plastic cards, you’ll be in for another wait—an indefinite wait this time around.

If you recall, a temporary restraining order against the supply deal was issued in August then lapsed in September, allowing the LTO to resume the printing of driver’s licenses. But once the preliminary injunction takes effect, the deliveries of new cards is effectively halted until the case is resolved.

Mendoza said the bidding process for around 4.2 million plastic cards for 2024 may be accelerated, so that the contract may be awarded around January. For now, with its remaining card supply, the LTO will prioritize printing cards for driver’s licenses that expired in April to slowly eliminate the backlog.

This latest development will lead to a delay of at least two months in the procurement of driver’s license cards. As of this writing, the LTO has not backtracked on its revised driver’s license renewal schedule, with Mendoza explaining that the injunction has not yet taken effect.

Back to paper licenses: Court issues injunction vs LTO's plastic card procurement (msn.com)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

This has spiralled into farce.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, BrettGC said:

This has spiralled into farce.

Watch the new comedy show, "Abbot and Costello run the LTO".  

• Haha 4

Youngster
Posted
Posted

Well, as long as I get my renewed 10 year license before it expires…

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Equal parts ineptitude, corruption and stupidity. Thankfully not all government departments are so dysfunctional. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Actually, I'm quite happy with the paper copy - I can have one copy in the car and one in my wallet so I don't need to remember my wallet If I'm just dropping my son off at school.  I can use ACR for ID purposes.

• Like 1