In Closed-Door Meeting, American Airlines Explains Battle To Shut Down JSX Is About Competition (Not Safety)

Lee
Posted
Posted

American Airlines, Southwest, and major unions (especially pilot unions) have lobbied the federal government to put upstart Dallas-based competitor JSX out of business. They want the federal government to change regulations to make the business model that lets JSX fly 30 seat planes out of private terminals, with co-pilots that have fewer than 1,500 hours of flying, illegal.

JSX’s business model is perfectly legal and consistent with 30 years of regulatory practice. There’s also no data, evidence or anecdote suggesting concerns over safety. But that doesn’t stop advocates of the status quo in aviation from lobbying to shut them down. 

It’s fairly clear that they see this as a commercial dispute, that American Airlines doesn’t think they should have to compete with JSX which operates 30 seat regional jets from Love Field in Dallas. JSX offers a better product, and American would like to put them out of business by turning off the pipeline they have to pilot talent and by banning their use of private terminals.

https://viewfromthewing.com/in-closed-door-meeting-american-airlines-explains-battle-to-shut-down-jsx-is-about-competition-not-safety/

JSX is a hop-on jet service. It runs 30-seat flights with business-class amenities, including legroom, seat power, and Starlink Wi-Fi. It flies out of hangars adjacent to existing airports, has a TSA-accepted security plan, has a waiting lounge, and your luggage is collected right at check-in and you watch it get loaded on (and off) the flight. The entire check-in and exit process makes the traditional airport experience look like a Soviet Union bread line. Best of all, one only needs to check in at the hangar 20 minutes before the flight, and travel is reasonably and competitively priced for what one gets.

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

These flights are probably full of our well-known money lined pocket "Climate Czars" when they don't fly in their own private jets....:popcorn:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

These flights are probably full of our well-known money lined pocket "Climate Czars" when they don't fly in their own private jets....:popcorn:

Nah, they would not hob nob with 29 piddling millionaires.  Especially ketchup boy.

If the safety issue is made up, I hope JSX sues.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Haha 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Lee said:

https://viewfromthewing.com/in-closed-door-meeting-american-airlines-explains-battle-to-shut-down-jsx-is-about-competition-not-safety/

JSX is a hop-on jet service. It runs 30-seat flights with business-class amenities, including legroom, seat power, and Starlink Wi-Fi. It flies out of hangars adjacent to existing airports, has a TSA-accepted security plan, has a waiting lounge, and your luggage is collected right at check-in and you watch it get loaded on (and off) the flight. The entire check-in and exit process makes the traditional airport experience look like a Soviet Union bread line. Best of all, one only needs to check in at the hangar 20 minutes before the flight, and travel is reasonably and competitively priced for what one gets.

“co-pilots that have fewer than 1,500 hours of flying”

Given the shortage of pilots, I would think the major airlines would embrace a smaller regional airline that’s giving pilots the opportunity to build up flight hours and experience. 

• Like 2
  • I'm Confused 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

3 hours ago, Gator said:

I would think the major airlines would embrace a smaller regional airline that’s giving pilots the opportunity to build up flight hours and experience. 

Apparently United Airlines agrees with you.... 

https://www.jsx.com/mileageplus

United MileagePlus® is your ticket to the world and features more ways to use miles and the most award destinations of any U.S. airline loyalty program. And now? You can earn valuable miles when you fly with JSX. 

Earning with United MileagePlus® comes with exciting benefits, including:

The most economy award availability*

The most award destinations to redeem your miles to**

Your miles never expire

Options to use your miles for other activities and retail purchases***

When flying on JSX

You can now earn United MileagePlus® miles when flying on JSX. You’ll earn up to 100% of the miles flown based on your JSX fare class. 

MileagePlus Base Earnings:

Fare classes Y, B, E, M, V, S, D, and T earn 100% of the miles flown.
Fare classes W, G, and Q earn 75% of the miles flown.
Fare classes N, H, and P earn 50% of the miles flown.

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

I take most of these promises from airlines with a grain of salt. I have in the past had high frequent flyer status on a couple of them. Once you start asking about international upgrades or flights they change their tune. Also, with some mileage expires after a year or so. I no longer believe the marketing BS from airlines. I just buy the least expensive ticket for the class of service I want in spite of having over a million miles on two carriers.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Sad 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Possum said:

in spite of having over a million miles on two carriers.

hey.... I'll take them !!!!! :thumbsup:

Possum
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Joey G said:

hey.... I'll take them !!!!! :thumbsup:

It was painful as over half were in economy class so I'll hang on to the miles not expired. :smile:

• Like 2