Another big quake in Davao

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Another big one. :sad:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67602493

Two powerful earthquakes have hit the Philippines' second-largest island of Mindanao, prompting initial fears of a potential "destructive tsunami".

The US Geological Survey measured the first tremor late on Saturday at 7.6 magnitude, and the one that followed shortly afterwards at 6.4.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said the quakes were 7.4 and 6.1 magnitude.

The US Tsunami Warning System later said the tsunami threat "has passed".

"Minor sea level fluctuations may occur in some coastal areas," it said in a statement.

People were seen rushing out of buildings and staying in open areas after the first tremor
Earlier, residents of coastal areas of Surigao Del Sur and Davao Oriental had been told to evacuate to higher ground after the first earthquake at about 22:37 local time (14:37 GMT) off Mindanao's eastern coast.

People in several towns not far from the quake's epicentre were seen rushing out of buildings and staying in open areas. In Butuan City, patients were evacuated from a hospital.

In the Hinatuan municipality, crowds gathered at evacuations centres.

In Japan, north-east of the Philippines, tsunami waves of up to 0.4m (1.3ft) were later observed on some outlying islands.

There have been no immediate reports of damage or injuries in the Philippines or Japan.

The two island nations are part of the Pacific "Ring of Fire" - a zone of major seismic activity which has one of the world's most active fault lines.

• Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

It really shook us up in Cagayan De Oro, we and the neighbours ended up waiting it out in the street.

And just an hour ago there was a follow up 7.0 quake (a bit further to sea than today first one) that rocked the mall where we were eating mang inasal.

Hopefully that's the end of it for a while...

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Hopefully that's the end of it for a while...

I was there during the 7.2 quake in Bohol in 2013. There were aftershocks, including a few in 5.x range, for weeks afterward. I'm sure you will have a similar experience.

• Like 2

P_X
Posted
Posted (edited)

Last night my phone alerted me that an earthquake had occurred like 219 kilometers away. Two minutes later our apartment in cordova cebu was shaking a little 

Edited by P_X
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
GeoffH
Posted
Posted

We have been getting aftershocks, although they are getting less frequent.  Had another one at 5.5 which rocked the building tonight though.

• Like 1