House bills ordering parents, students to plant trees OK’d on 2nd reading

Lee
Posted
Posted

How about a House bill requiring HS seniors to be proficient in math, science, and English before being allowed to graduate? 

MANILA, Philippines — Bills that would require the planting of trees in a bid to preserve the country’s environment have been approved on second reading at the House of Representatives. House Bill (HB) Nos. 9587, or the Family Tree Planting Act, and HB No. 9588, or the Graduation Legacy for Reforestation Act, were approved during Monday’s session. The Family Tree Planting Act requires parents, whether legally married or not, to plant two trees for every child born to them while the Graduation Legacy for Reforestation Act makes tree planting mandatory before students are allowed to graduate. “As an act of public service before they join the country’s labor force, all graduating students in senior high school and college, except physically handicapped and students with special needs, shall plant two (2) trees each as a prerequisite for graduation,” states Section 3 of HB No. 9588. Under Section 5 of HB No. 9587, meanwhile, birth certificates would not be released if the parents fail to present a sworn statement of compliance to planting two trees per child within 30 days after the child is born, except in extraordinary circumstances. Based on the proposed measures, the seedlings will come from the Community Environment and Natural Resources Office (CENRO) of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) and the Department of Agriculture (DA), in partnership with local government units (LGUs). HB No. 9587 tasks the DENR, DA, Department of the Interior and Local Government, Philippine Statistics Authority, and Department of Social Welfare and Development as primary implementers of the program.

House bills ordering parents, students to plant trees OK’d on 2nd reading (msn.com)

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

How about a House bill requiring HS seniors to be proficient in math, science, and English before being allowed to graduate? 

House bills ordering parents, students to plant trees OK’d on 2nd reading (msn.com)

Nah, let’s give the kids another day off from school instead while the teachers plant the trees (and likely have to pay for them too!) 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 12/6/2023 at 5:17 AM, Gator said:

Nah, let’s give the kids another day off from school instead while the teachers plant the trees (and likely have to pay for them too!) 

They don't even need to plant trees; give them the day off to celebrate!  I have to bite my tongue now.

https://mb.com.ph/2023/12/4/no-face-to-face-classes-in-public-schools-on-dec-6-dep-ed

There will be no face-to-face classes in public schools during the tree-planting day set by the Department of Education (DepEd) this week. 

Students DepEd MB Visual Content Group.jpg
(DepEd / MB Visual Content Group) 
DepEd Spokesperson and Undersecretary Michael Poa, in a Viber message on Monday, Dec. 4, confirmed that in-person classes will be suspended on Dec. 6 (Wednesday), as stated in DepEd Memorandum No. 69 series of 2023.

“Classes in all DepEd public schools will be on asynchronous mode for this day,” the memo read.

The memo, issued by Vice President and Education Secretary Sara Duterte, outlined the guidelines for the implementation of the project entitled “DepEd's 236,000 Trees - A Christmas Gift for the Children.”

On behalf of Duterte, Poa is scheduled to visit the Pasig Elementary School for the said activity.

Christmas gift

The project, DepEd said, will serve as a “gift” from the DepEd to “ensure a clean and green environment for Filipino children and future generations.”

Through the participation of 47,678 public schools, DepEd aims to plant over 236,000 trees.

DepEd explained that the project will provide a “unique educational opportunity” for students to actively participate in tree planting activities, fostering a deeper understanding of environmental issues and promoting conservation efforts.

Moreover, DepEd added that through hands-on learning and practical application of environmental concepts, “students will develop a strong sense of responsibility towards the environment,”

DepEd also noted that planting trees will “contribute to the beautification” of school grounds aside from educational benefits.

As trees provide shade, improve air quality, and create a calming atmosphere, enhancing the overall ambiance of the school, DepEd hoped to create a “more pleasant and conducive learning environment for students” through the project.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

There will be no face-to-face classes in public schools during the tree-planting day set by the Department of Education (DepEd) this week. 

Meanwhile, not a day goes by when Sarah Duterte isn't bemoaning the poor performance of students here in the PISA where the Philippines was 6th worst of 81 nations.

:571c66d400c8c_1(103)::571c66d400c8c_1(103)::571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Possum
Posted
Posted
On 12/6/2023 at 3:59 AM, Lee said:

The Family Tree Planting Act requires parents, whether legally married or not, to plant two trees for every child born to them while the Graduation Legacy for Reforestation Act makes tree planting mandatory before students are allowed to graduate.

How are they going to plant a tree if they can't read the instructions?

• Haha 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Plus Dec 8 holiday - Feast of the Immaculate Conception. And recently, at least in southern Cebu at the wife’s school district, a week off for Intramural sports and 3 days district of intramurals, but before those events happen, lots of days spent practicing! 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Gator said:

Plus Dec 8 holiday - Feast of the Immaculate Conception. And recently, at least in southern Cebu at the wife’s school district, a week off for Intramural sports and 3 days district of intramurals, but before those events happen, lots of days spent practicing! 

My son has intramural as well but practice is after school hours - I'm not sure about the actual event itself.  Actually, I don't really mind such activities (within reason) as I am a great believer that sports should be a part of the school program.  It's the random days such as the tree planting day which I raise my eyebrows at.  I'm also very concerned about this 'catch-up Friday' initiative as I feel it may well end up being no more than a 4-day week for many students and it's not as if they can afford that. 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

My son has intramural as well but practice is after school hours - I'm not sure about the actual event itself.  Actually, I don't really mind such activities (within reason) as I am a great believer that sports should be a part of the school program.  It's the random days such as the tree planting day which I raise my eyebrows at.  I'm also very concerned about this 'catch-up Friday' initiative as I feel it may well end up being no more than a 4-day week for many students and it's not as if they can afford that. 

I fully agree with you. I’m all for kids participating in sports, but not if it’s at the expense of their education. At the wife’s school they are practicing during school hours and the intramurals are also during school hours instead of after school or on the weekends. 

• Like 1