Norwegian Drowns In Malapascua Island

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I of course do not know the whole story but never dive drunk and never dive without a buddy, just in case there is an emergency. I have personally gotten stuck in wrecks at deep depths and luckily freed myself, but had I not I had my buddy who stood by in case I could not because I signaled him to. Diving alone is a very stupid thing to do because accidents do happen, no matter how good you think you are. A NORWEGIAN national died while diving in the waters of Malapascua Island in Daanbantayan town, north Cebu on the morning of Christmas eve.An unconscious Isaksen Knut Aksel, 45, was found floating by his Canadian diving instructor Tim Latimer at 11:30 a.m.Aksel dove alone when two of his male friends, Xavier and Nicola left him and Latimer to buy food in the island.Latimer, who was in a shallow part of the island, said from where he was standing, he noticed Aksel floating face down in the Monad shoal diving spot, and called for help.Link to the complete story

Panserhansen
Posted
Posted

Hi Lee.According to a Norwegian dive site, the guy had a diving partner. The accident was caused because he mixed up some oxygen bottle, so he breathed a wrong concentration of oxygen. That caused cramps.He was a well known diving instructor in the Oslo area.http://www.dykking.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4279&Itemid=104(Norwegian)

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi Lee.According to a Norwegian dive site, the guy had a diving partner. The accident was caused because he mixed up some oxygen bottle, so he breathed a wrong concentration of oxygen. That caused cramps.He was a well known diving instructor in the Oslo area.http://www.dykking.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4279&Itemid=104(Norwegian)
Hi Lars thanks for the info, I was just going by the news which said he was alone. Sad, because there are different mixtures for deep diving and he must have gotten one of those yet had a buddy been close by maybe he would still be alive. Accidents can happen to even the best of us yet due care might have saved him. I have to wonder why were those tanks not marked properly? We paint our tanks for different mixtures in the US and I have been down 141 feet on a regular mixture, so how much deeper do they go?

Guest OceanBreeze
Posted
Posted

Sad ... what a tragedy ... by the way .. Malapascua Dive & Beach resort also published a statement at their website.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Sad ... what a tragedy ... by the way .. Malapascua Dive & Beach resort also published a statement at their website.
It is a terrible tragedy but some info is being withheld and this story does not match up to the first story, so I would guess we will never know what actually happened. Sometimes a cover up may have to be put in place to hide facts to prevent possible repercussions to the industry or so that the family will be able to collect the life insurance if he violated normal dive policy. Maybe for the families sake it might just be better to let this drop unless more info is printed. To me the above posts on that site smells of cover up.