Tipflation Moderating

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Tipflation, referring to demands for an increase in the amount expected as tips, has finally started to moderate.  It is returning in the United States to the 15% to 20% level that was common pre-pandemic.  Social media is also criticizing restaurants using tablets that prompt their customers to start giving at a minimum 20% with one Alaska restaurant suggesting up to 100%.  Customers are likewise ignoring requests for tips from a wide variety of services where a tip wasn't previously expected.  Examples include travel agents, dental offices, lawyers, plumbers, purchases at farmers markets, and self-service counters.  

An observation after two weeks in the Philippines is more Metro Manila restaurants are adding 7.5% to 10% service fee compared to a year ago.  One unusual item on a recent bill was a "table usage" fee of P80.  Four of us had dined at a restaurant and then moved to a cafe' for coffee and dessert, and a long conversation.  I guess the conversation was too long, thus an additional charge for the table.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Tips to me, are personnel and dependent on service given. I have never and will never bow to a % tip routine, there are plenty of other Place far more deserving of my cash :tiphat: 

I feel the same way. Yesterday I went to a cafe near my apartment that I used to frequent 3-5 times a week for an iced coffee and occasionally a piece of cake or a meal.

They’ve been closed for about a month and just reopened. New owners / new management. Price of an iced coffee up from 100 pesos to 140 pesos and in a smaller glass (12oz instead of a 16oz). Plus it’s more of a resto-bar now, no cake or pastries and a limited bar type menu. That alone was about enough for me to take my business elsewhere, but the kicker was they now add a 7% service charge. When I questioned it, I was told it was for the wait staff and the cook. The waiter also said it’s pointed out on the menu, but when I looked I couldn’t read it. Talk about fine print, you need a magnifying glass to read it!

I used to leave at least a 20% tip. The new place got me for the 7% and nothing more. Plus it’ll be the last time I patronize them as there are many other choices in the area.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

I feel the same way. Yesterday I went to a cafe near my apartment that I used to frequent 3-5 times a week for an iced coffee and occasionally a piece of cake or a meal.

They’ve been closed for about a month and just reopened. New owners / new management. Price of an iced coffee up from 100 pesos to 140 pesos and in a smaller glass (12oz instead of a 16oz). Plus it’s more of a resto-bar now, no cake or pastries and a limited bar type menu. That alone was about enough for me to take my business elsewhere, but the kicker was they now add a 7% service charge. When I questioned it, I was told it was for the wait staff and the cook. The waiter also said it’s pointed out on the menu, but when I looked I couldn’t read it. Talk about fine print, you need a magnifying glass to read it!

I used to leave at least a 20% tip. The new place got me for the 7% and nothing more. Plus it’ll be the last time I patronize them as there are many other choices in the area.

I believe they can rent you one for 50php! 

• Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, JJReyes said:

One unusual item on a recent bill was a "table usage" fee of P80.

Is the owner French?  Paris is the only place I've seen this and as a result many stand to drink their coffee. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Is the owner French?  Paris is the only place I've seen this and as a result many stand to drink their coffee. 

Possibly based on the name of the cafe'.  We have previously encountered multi-pricing situations in such countries as Spain and Italy.  You paid one price for drinking coffee and eating a breakfast sandwich while standing around the bar, another for taking a seat, and the highest price by occupying a table on the sidewalk.  But this was a first in the Philippines.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

In some countries tipping is not expected or they automatically add gratuities (10% or 15%) to your restaurant bills.  In Japan, it is considered rude to leave a tip.  In Singapore, they have a double standard.  Locals don't tip, but visitors are expected to give.  List includes:

Japan

Dubai

Switzerland

China

French Polynesia

South Korea

Denmark

New Zealand

Vietnam