Tourist rest area opens in Moalboal

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I have driven past this place a number of times and thought about stopping.  When I first saw it I wondered why did they put it in the Tonga barangay.  There are no tourists in or even near Tunga, they are either in Moalboal or Panagsama.  Can't help but wonder if money changed hands to build it in Tunga instead of an area where there are tourists. :89:   

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/tourist-rest-area-opens-in-moalboal

THE Department of Tourism (DOT) opened its fourth Tourist Rest Area (TRA) in Cebu and seventh in the country in Barangay Tunga, Moalboal, Cebu on Wednesday, Dec. 20, 2023.

Tourism Secretary Christina Garcia Frasco praised the new facility and described it as one having a detailed and creatively designed TRA in the south of Cebu.

“Secretaries of tourism have come and gone, but it is only now that under the leadership of Secretary Frasco that Tourist Rest Areas are sprouting all over the country,” said Cebu 7th District Rep. Peter John Calderon, during the inauguration and turnover of TRA Moalboal.

Calderon said the lack of tourists rest areas in the country is among the feedback he’s been getting from tourists when they come to the Philippines, especially Cebu.

“There is a need for TRAs, and many have overlooked (this),” added Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia.

The governor finds the TRAs helpful to the country’s visitors. She is hoping that all municipalities will have their own TRA.

Garcia said she already promised four towns in Camotes and Sogod that they’ll have their own TRAs. This is in addition to Pinamungajan, Bogo, Dumanjug and Santander to be funded by the Cebu Provincial Government.

Moreover, Frasco sees the TRA not just to provide convenience to tourists but also to serve as an avenue for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) to flourish and promote their local products.

Frasco clarified that the DOT doesn’t get a profit from the TRA as the income will go directly to the local government unit’s coffers and

the MSMEs.

The TRA Moalboal features sweet and savory items that are locally made by high school students of Moalboal such as bago tea (from a local plant grown in a highland barangay in Molaboal), moringa muffins, sweet potato and carrot cupcakes.

Moalboal Mayor Inocentes Cabaron said the TRA is a welcome development in the town of Moalboal, one of Cebu’s tourism hotspots known for its pristine beaches, sardine run and diving spots.

Cabaron said Barangay Tunga is the best location for the TRA despite it being a kilometer away from the town proper. He plans to convert the establishment into a full-air conditioned facility.

TRA Moalboal currently employs three workers, Cabaron said they’ll be hiring more when the need arises.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Tourist Rest Area

Is this something like the Business Class Lounge at the airport?  Or where you get off the bus to pee and are accosted by 1000 vendors?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Mike J said:

driven past this place

When you get a chance please stop and report.

11 hours ago, Mike J said:

no tourists in or even near Tunga,

I am guessing here, but I would think it would be a place where travelers will stop on the way to a distant location. Is there a tourist destination further down the road where travelers head to?

Here in Luzon all of our major freeways have really nice "rest" areas. clean restrooms, nice restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations. BUT they are on toll roads, owned and operated by the private sector.

The one government rest area I have seen in on the freeway between Angeles and cavite......Dirty and fly blown. 

Joey G
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mike J said:

The TRA Moalboal features sweet and savory items that are locally made by high school students of Moalboal such as bago tea (from a local plant grown in a highland barangay in Molaboal), moringa muffins, sweet potato and carrot cupcakes.

Feeds right into the education topic earlier... are these students from the "cooking class" they need to graduate, or do they just carve time out of the day?  Who actually sells them, the students as well?  Who gets compensated for the work.... the school, the students, the teachers?  

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Is this something like the Business Class Lounge at the airport?  Or where you get off the bus to pee and are accosted by 1000 vendors?

Not a Lounge type place.  I actually thought it had opened quite awhile back as the building appeared to be finished a few months back.  It sits beside the national highway about 5 km south of Moalboal town and Panagsama is about 5 more km from Moalboal town.  The theory, according to the tourist bureau, is to tourist a "rest stop" combined with a place for info and buy local artisan stuff, treats, etc.   To problem with the location is that they are almost to their destination after a  2 1/2 to 3 hour ride from Cebu City.  Why stop in the middle of nowhere when you are minutes away from where you are going.   The majority of the major resorts, resto-bars, restaurants, hotels, dive shops, etc. are in Panagsama which abuts the ocean.  The rest of the hotels, restaurants, etc. are in Moalboal town.  There is nothing in Barangay Tunga to draw tourists that I am aware of and I have lived here for 10 years.  This place should have built in either Moalboal town or Panagsama if they expect tourists to stop.

The only reason I can imagine a van load of tourists to stop is one or more passengers yelling "I have to go RIGHT NOW".  And that assumes the tourist stop is closer than the nearest mango tree. :whistling:

My next trip north I will try to stop and get a few pictures.

• Like 2