Toyota DNGA-based models have safety issues anew

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The article does not state why the models shipped to the Philippines are not affected?   Are there lower safety standards in the Philippines?   I find it hard to believe that some extra care was taken for models shipped here.

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/toyota-dnga-based-models-have-safety-issues-anew.html

But PH units not affected, says Toyota
Toyota is one of the most trusted brands when it comes to safety and reliability, but its good reputation is being placed in jeopardy because of its subsidiary, Daihatsu.

Earlier this year, Toyota's Daihatsu brand was found to have rigged its safety tests in almost all models it currently has in production. Those included Toyota-branded models such as the Avanza, Raize, Rush, Veloz, Vios, and the Wigo. The rigged side collision and door lining safety tests affected around 88,000 vehicles in a previous report.

However, the latest investigations suggest the scope is far bigger than the reported number in April. They found new irregularities in 174 items within 25 test categories, affecting a total of 64 models and 3 engines in total. These include 22 models and 1 engine being sold by Toyota.

In response to these findings, Daihatsu has decided to temporarily suspend shipments of all Daihatsu-developed models in production, both in Japan and overseas. Toyota has also decided to temporarily suspend shipments of the affected units.

The DNGA-based models such as the Avanza, Raize, Rush, Veloz, Vios, Wigo, and even the all-new Yaris Cross are included on the list. However, units exported to the Philippines are not affected and as such, sales and shipments of the models should continue.

The affected markets include Southeast Asian countries such as Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Meanwhile, Central and South American countries of Mexico, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Bolivia, and Uruguay are also included.

In a statement, Toyota said a fundamental reform is needed to revitalize Daihatsu as a company. It will require not only a review of management and business operations but also a review of the organization and structure, as well as a change in human resource development and awareness of each and every employee. Toyota says they will provide full support to Daihatsu's revitalization so that it can return to its roots as the "compact mobility company" that Toyota and Daihatsu are striving for it to be, as well as regain the trust of all stakeholders.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know most of the rebadged Daihatsus listed that are sold in PI are manufactured in Indonesia under the Toyota Astra brand based in Jakarta.  I find it a little hard to believe that PI is the only country they're exported to where they do meet safety standards.  If they do meet PI standards, questions need to be asked.  Perhaps it was an accidental omission from the article?

Here's a list of vehicles manufactured in both Toyota and Daihatsu factories in Indonesia.  Where it says "Locally", it's in reference Indonesia as the article is written from that perspective.  This is not a list of vehicles affected, it's a just a list of vehicles manufactured in Indonesia by both Toyota and Daihatsu. 

image.png

Full article here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Astra_Motor

I'm trying to chase down a definitive list of vehicles that have issues.  I'm sure there's millions of my fellow Toyota/Daihatsu owners globally doing exactly the same thing now. 

This could have a much larger impact than the VW emissions fraud a few years back... The more it was investigated, the more heinous the fraud was discovered to be.  It resulted in the recall of 11 million vehicles across the VW, Audi and Skoda brands.  That was a software fix.  If the current issues with Toyota relate to structural safety it may be more than a recall that's appropriate. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I'm trying to chase down a definitive list of vehicles that have issues.  I'm sure there's millions of my fellow Toyota/Daihatsu owners globally doing exactly the same thing now. 

Please keep us updated.  I expect there are a good many forum members who may, or maybe not :89:, be affected.    

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Please keep us updated.  I expect there are a good many forum members who may, or maybe not :89:, be affected.    

Will do.

This is very odd, I know for a fact that the cars manufactured in Indonesia are not exclusively sold in PI but are in fact sold in all the SE Asian counties listed amongst others.  Something very fishy is going on with regards to PI safety standards. 

Yes ,I understand that manufacturers do tailor cars for specific markets but still...

Edited by BrettGC

hk blues
Posted
Posted

From what I've read the issue affects around 64 models as well as some Subaru and Mazda. 

So, pretty wide ranging and definitely affects my Toyota Raize but let's see if the issue is something to be concerned about or simply an abundance of caution.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

From what I've read the issue affects around 64 models as well as some Subaru and Mazda. 

So, pretty wide ranging and definitely affects my Toyota Raize but let's see if the issue is something to be concerned about or simply an abundance of caution.

Agreed, we need a list of specific issues by model and year and place of manufacture.  The only specific issue mentioned in any of the articles I've found is falsifying side impact testing data.  But it's framed as "Also includes..." so who knows what the other problems are. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

My guess is that the Philippines doesn’t require ASEAN NCAP testing for registration (you can register second hand left hand drive converted Japanese Kei car vehicles here remember too) and hence it isn’t breaching any local standards.

ie to say the cars are the same but the regulations are not.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1