US Individual Taxpayer Identification Number -- easiest way to get certification?

Skyview
Posted
Posted

Hi, does anyone file taxes jointly in US that requires ITIN for foreign spouse?  My wife lives in Baguio and is awaiting spousal visa.  I am filing joint tax returns to take advantages of dependent benefits.  Do you know the easiest way to get the IRS tax form (W 7) certified that she is spouse?  DFA office in Baguio has not acted since August when we submitted the notarization application.

Many thanks,

• Mike J locked and unlocked this topic
Possum
Posted
Posted

For a US ITIN just apply online. I don't recall having to provide any proof of marriage.

Skyview
Posted
Posted

@Possum, thanks.  "You can file Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), with your federal income tax return. You must also include original documentation or certified copies from the issuing agency to prove identity and foreign status."  The problem is that we are not going to send IRS her original passport while she lives in Philippines.  

Joey G
Posted
Posted

DFA in Philippines doesn't certify USA IRS W-7 forms.  Mail it in to IRS or if you want to do it in the Philippines. use this acceptance agent per IRS:

Jim Boyd Foundation 1925 MacArthur Highway
2009 Balibago Angeles City
Philippines
(6345) 888-2748

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agents-philippines

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Joey G said:

DFA in Philippines doesn't certify USA IRS W-7 forms.  Mail it in to IRS or if you want to do it in the Philippines. use this acceptance agent per IRS:

Jim Boyd Foundation 1925 MacArthur Highway
2009 Balibago Angeles City
Philippines
(6345) 888-2748

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agents-philippines

Yes, Jim Boyd is the only acceptance agent in the Philippines.  He has 1 or 2 staff trained to do the work.  The one that helped me back in 2015 took care of everything, but we both went there to the office.

Jim is in charge of RAO Angeles.  I think there is some ITIN info here:

https://1925mcarthur.wixsite.com/raoangeles

But you need to call and talk to them.

Are you in the U.S.?  Not sure if your wife can do it without you, but they will know.  Basically, you give them your tax return with W7 attached and they mail it.  They have direct access to USPS.

The office is not far from Dau bus terminal.  Two hour bus from Baguio to Dau, then short trike ride.

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)

I requested an ITIN from  social security online website. They issued it the IRS did not as IRS does not issue ITIN.  Very easy. The DFA was not involved at all. The OP can do that and I'm sure he'll find it is no trouble as I obtained my wife's ITIN 10 years ago by simply applying online and have been using that ITIN to file our taxes since then. All the OP has to do is apply, if there is a problem they'll let him know. I think all they asked for was a copy of her passport.

Edited by Possum
addition