How to handle rigged taxi meters?

Summer of 69
Posted
Posted

Back in 2018 in Manila, I took a taxi where where most of the trip the meter seemed to be running sanely, but suddenly when I had to pay for the trip the meter was just a few Pesos under 1000 Pesos, appearing to have doubled or maybe more in the last 10 minutes of the trip where I did not watch the meter. I did not know what to do and just gave him 1000 and refused to give him the tip that he asked for as well!!!

The other day, something similar happened to my sons mother. She did not watch the meter at all, but ended up with a bill of 960 Pesos, more than double what the trip should have cost her (this was in Cebu). She again did not know what else to do but pay the full amount.

Does anyone have advice on how to react to this?

• Hmm thinking 1

Summer of 69
Posted
Posted

This sounds like a tactic that would scare most scamming taxi drivers into not overcharging just to be on the safe side, but it sounds like you still have suspicions sometimes. Have you ever had suspicions of more than 100 Pesos being added after having taken the initial photos?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Summer of 69 said:

This sounds like a tactic that would scare most scamming taxi drivers into not overcharging just to be on the safe side, but it sounds like you still have suspicions sometimes. Have you ever had suspicions of more than 100 Pesos being added after having taken the initial photos?

Sure.  The latest was a taxi driver from Mall of Asia to Makati Greenbelt who kept praying every few minutes asking loudly for his fare (us) to be generous during Christmas so he could buy presents for his children.  It did not appear on the meter, but I felt obligated to tip an extra P100.  

Most prolific taxi scammers were in Istanbul, Turkey.  Most honest we encountered were in Spain.  In Cuenca, they didn't have meters yet each time the amount charge was identical for the same destination.  The warning by the hotel was to just avoid using gypsy (unlicensed) taxis.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Overcharging isn't something  we experience much, if at all, but from time-to-time the driver will ask us to add a little extra for whatever reason and I don't mind this. We were in Hong Kong for 10 years and did experience overcharging a few times but the HK authorities are strict on this so drivers tend not to argue when they are called out on this.  

• Like 2