DepEd orders immediate removal of teachers' admin tasks

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Somebody still has to do this admin work-----------would bet that little will actually change in this regard.

The Department of Education (DepEd) has officially ordered the immediate removal of administrative tasks from teachers’ workloads on Friday.

The issuance of Department Order (DO) 002 came a day after Vice President and Education Secretary Sara Duterte announced the said initiative during her presentation of the 2024 Basic Education Report.

“This DO shall take effect immediately upon its approval, issuance, and publication on the DepEd website,” the order read.

DepEd defined administrative tasks as work “related to the effective and efficient operations of schools or programs, projects, and services which are not directly related to teaching and academic learning.”

Starting the DO’s release, such tasks shall then be performed by School Heads and non-teaching personnel.

According to DepEd, citing a 2018 Teacher Workload Balance Study, around 50 common ancillary services on average are assigned to teachers in addition to their regular teaching load, which resulted in understaffed schools being unable to provide sufficient support services

“Through this Order, the Department aims to remove the administrative tasks of teachers to enable them to maximize their time in actual classroom teaching. With this endeavor, they shall be able to focus on the teaching and learning process and become effective facilitators of learning,” the order read.

“Furthermore, this initiative by the Department shall help protect and uplift the welfare and wellbeing of public school teachers to support them to teach better which in turn shall rea-lize quality learning among the Filipino learners,” it added.

DepEd said the order covers all government-employed teachers engaged in classroom teaching, on a fuIl-time basis, under permanent, provisional, or substitute status in all public elementary and secondary schools.

It will be implemented across all governance levels, with guidelines released subsequent to the DO to guide DepEd schools, Schools Division Offices (SDOs), Regional Offices and Central offices.

Meanwhile, in order to address the non-teaching requirements of schools, DepEd stated that SDOs may opt to cluster deployed non-teaching personnel, or employ personnel under Contract of Service or Job Order, with charges applicable to either Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE) or alternative funding sources.

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1894934/deped-on-officially-ordering-immediate-removal-of-admin-tasks-for-teachers#ixzz8Pxkb1s00

Edited by Mike J
Fixed URL
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Step in the right direction.

• Like 3

Joey G
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lee said:

50 common ancillary services on average are assigned to teachers in addition to their regular teaching load

Wonder if there's a list of all 50?  

Gator
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Lee said:

The Department of Education (DepEd) has officially ordered the immediate removal of administrative tasks from teachers’ workloads on Friday.

It’s only Fridays. Probably because of comrade D8’s plan that Fridays are “catch up days”. I doubt many schools will pay attention to the directive, just like the many others they see passed down - they sound good, but in reality are never put into practice the way they were intended if they are at all. 

One of the wife’s admin tasks, along with another teacher, is working with the book keeper / records clerk as well co-approving school expenditures. The latter is an attempt to eliminate corruption (the last principal quit because she couldn’t scam enough and the one before that was transferred because she got caught with her hands in the cookie jar). For the wife those are daily tasks and she’ll continue as usual despite the directive. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

It’s only Fridays.

Glad you mentioned that because I missed it.  Friday is not in the headline and only once in the article.

So, makes me wonder, is the current standard in public schools that Friday afternoons are for admin work, especially for teachers?  Can you ask the boss?

Even if only Friday, that is a big chunk of work taken up by the teachers, and I wonder how that work can be instantly taken up by other non-teaching staff?

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Glad you mentioned that because I missed it.  Friday is not in the headline and only once in the article.

So, makes me wonder, is the current standard in public schools that Friday afternoons are for admin work, especially for teachers?  Can you ask the boss?

Even if only Friday, that is a big chunk of work taken up by the teachers, and I wonder how that work can be instantly taken up by other non-teaching staff?

The admin duties performed by many of the teachers are done on a daily basis, not just on Fridays. The term “Administrative Duties” is a catch all for anything done by a teacher in a school other than actually teaching.

For example: teachers , at least in the wife’s school, are required to clean their classrooms, their office area and their private cr. Although most ppl would consider this maintenance or janitorial duty, they classify it as an admin task. And yes, the school does have one janitor, but he mostly keeps busy with the heavier cleaning and maintenance tasks as well as up keep of the grounds. 

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Gator said:

It’s only Fridays. Probably because of comrade D8’s plan that Fridays are “catch up days”.

17 hours ago, Gator said:

This passage could be read as the DepED order was put out for the admin tasks to be removed on Friday. The order would make more sense if it applied to every school day not just one. IDK

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

The order would make more sense if it applied to every school day not just one

I can’t speak for every school, but I’m sure just like the wife’s school they are short staffed. Hence, they rely on teachers pitching in to perform tasks other then just teaching. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Gator said:

It’s only Fridays. Probably because of comrade D8’s plan that Fridays are “catch up days”. I doubt many schools will pay attention to the directive, just like the many others they see passed down - they sound good, but in reality are never put into practice the way they were intended if they are at all. 

When I first read the article I thought WTH, only one day?  So I found another article.  The ruling will be/was issued on Friday.  That article also says they will hire additional non teaching staff to handle those tasks.  I will see if I can find the article.

Found it.

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1894363/fwd-duterte-on-removing-administrative-tasks-from-teachers

MANILA, Philippines — Vice President and Education Secretary Sara Duterte on Thursday said that public school teachers will finally be relieved of administrative or non-teaching duties.

Duterte made the announcement during her presentation of the 2024 Basic Education Report at Sofitel Hotel, Pasay City.

“Let us bring our teachers back to the classrooms,” Duterte said in her report.

Duterte said the Department of Education (DepEd) will be releasing the department order to implement the new directive on Friday, January 26.

A corresponding memorandum will also be released next week.

Meanwhile, Duterte also announced that additional maintenance and other operating expenses (MOEE) will be provided to schools in order to hire administrative support staff.

“To ensure its effective implementation along with the filling up of 5,000 administrative personnel for 2023 and another 5,000 administrative personnel for 2024, we will also be providing additional MOOE to hire the necessary administrative support staff,” said Duterte.

Edited by Mike J
  • Thanks 1