Filing IRS with only social security as income

jimbo710
Posted
Posted

Sorry if this is posted somewhere but i could not find it.

I live only on social security from USA

Turbo tax tell me i owe no payment or will not receive and refund.

does anyone have same situation and does not file?

It will not let me e file so i must mail it and its very expensive seem such a waste of my monies when i owe nothing,

does anyone else not file?

Thank you  so much

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, jimbo710 said:

Sorry if this is posted somewhere but i could not find it.

I live only on social security from USA

Turbo tax tell me i owe no payment or will not receive and refund.

does anyone have same situation and does not file?

It will not let me e file so i must mail it and its very expensive seem such a waste of my monies when i owe nothing,

does anyone else not file?

Thank you  so much

Welcome to the forum.  Go to this IRS website, answer a few questions, and it will tell you if you have to file or not. 

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Welcome to the forum.  Go to this IRS website, answer a few questions, and it will tell you if you have to file or not. 

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return

Thanks for this. For 2023, it is the first year my only income will be SS, plus a bit of interest.  All of my investments with profits taken or interest are in my Roth.  I might not have to file but already have most of my tax info entered in OLT.  I'm just waiting for my Fidelity statement but should have only a tiny bit of taxable interest.

I might file anyway, just to have a record.  OLT is free for simple returns.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, jimbo710 said:

t will not let me e file so i must mail it

Why?  Maybe try something else.  OLT is free.

jimbo710
Posted
Posted

can i ask what do you do about state taxes filing when i dont live in USA

i have mailing address for Georgia  should i just fill out state for there even if i dont live there?

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jimbo710 said:

i have mailing address for Georgia  should i just fill out state for there even if i dont live there?

Most likely you will need to. Depends on where your tax home is. A mailing address in of itself doesn’t necessarily meet that criteria. If the mailing address is your tax home, then I believe you’ll need to file a state return whether or not any taxes are due. If the Philippines is now your tax home, then Georgia needs to notified of same (likely by filing a final return). 

To completely avoid it in the future, you might want to consider using a mailing address (like one of the many mail forwarding services) in a state like Florida that does not have any state income tax. You could also declare it as your tax home as well, but that’s up to you and depends on your own personal preferences. 

Edited by Gator

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jimbo710 said:

Before we left the states, I changed my home of record to the Philippines. I did it when I out processed from the army, so I am not sure how to go about it in abstentia. Now not only do I not have to file to the state of California, I don't have Uncle Gavin putting his hands in my pocket:hystery:. The only downside is that I can only vote in federal elections. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, jimbo710 said:

Georgia might have a tool like the Federal one that Mike posted above.  Look for it on their tax website.  If your income is below a certain threshold, you might not need to file.