SRRV vs. Marriage Visa

JJJ
Posted
Posted

If one is retired and married to a local which is the best way to go as far as a visa? I read a marriage visa requires one to remain in the Philippines for a long time without leaving. I travel frequently.  Which type of visa is best?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

There is a one year "probation" period prior to the 13A marriage visa being made permanent.   I was advised by the BOI when received the temporary visa that I should not travel out of the country.  However, you can travel out of the country provided you notify and receive permission from the BOI prior to the travel.   I expect the approval/denial would depend on the reason for travel and how long you would be out of the country.  This was about 8 years ago, and things may have changed?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Mike J said:

There is a one year "probation" period prior to the 13A marriage visa being made permanent.   I was advised by the BOI when received the temporary visa that I should not travel out of the country.  However, you can travel out of the country provided you notify and receive permission from the BOI prior to the travel.   I expect the approval/denial would depend on the reason for travel and how long you would be out of the country.  This was about 8 years ago, and things may have changed?

It's still current.  I'm returning to Aust for surgery later this year and enquired with regards to this and BOI confirmed as long they're notified and approve it's all good. We'll be submitting my probationary at the end of February.  It was the main concern as to why I was tossing up between SRRV and 13a.  But always check for yourself with your local regional office; interpretations vary from office to office and even agent to agent. 

There's pros and cons to both visas and it comes down to personal circumstances.  The only reason the SRRV was even a consideration for me is that I'm ex-military so the deposit amount is minimal (Expanded Courtesy).  And yes, non-US ex-military personnel can apply for the ex-military version of the SSRV if the country you did your service has a current military agreement/treaty with the Philippines. .  Basically most NATO countries and allies, but double check, there are some surprise omissions and inclusions. Check with PRA before proceeding.  Don't check with an agent, the ones I contacted are mostly under the impression it's US only.   There's no current list published anywhere. 

Just on that, if you do use an agent to process an SRRV, the PRA pays them to do it and they hit you up for a fee on top of that.  If you work directly with PRA they act as your agent. My limited dealings with PRA were nothing but positive. 

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Just on that, if you do use an agent to process an SRRV, the PRA pays them to do it and they hit you up for a fee on top of that.  If you work directly with PRA they act as your agent. My limited dealings with PRA were nothing but positive. 

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/

image.png

From personal experience most agents do not charge a fee due to the fact the PRA pays them. This was the case for myself, there was no mention of any payment from my agent.

• Like 2

JJJ
Posted
Posted

Brett how would I check to see if Canada has a current military agreement/treaty with the Philippines?

starrt
Posted
Posted

Canada only signed a "mutual" military agreement with the Philippines a few months ago.

As BretGC said, check with the PRa.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, RBM said:

From personal experience most agents do not charge a fee due to the fact the PRA pays them. This was the case for myself, there was no mention of any payment from my agent.

Of those that I enquired with 2 were going to charge an additional fee, and 1 wasn't. 

• Like 1