Considering apply to a PhD program in PH

MAC85
Posted
Posted

I have a bachelors and masters from a respected university in the states. My areas of study are political science, public policy, and public administration. 

I’ve been in a PhD program and completed most of my coursework but I don’t think completing is a realistic option. 

I’m considering studying in the Philippines. I rather like Silliman and it’s near to some in-laws of mine. 

I do have about 15 years of work experience and could get a job in the states, but the prospect of reading, writing, research, and teaching is very appealing. I just don’t know what a PhD from the Philippines would set me up for and honestly just my desire to live there and do something I enjoy is persuasive enough. I would be open to studying something that provides more transferable skills, like data analysis or some applied mathematics. 

Any insight would be much appreciated. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, MAC85 said:

My areas of study are political science, public policy, and public administration. 

As a Foreigner, you may find your field/area of study a Red Flag for further  Post Grad Education :tiphat:

• Like 1

MAC85
Posted
Posted

Would you care to explain?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MAC85 said:

Would you care to explain?

I think Jack is referring to the fact that foreigners are not allowed to be involved in Philippine politics.  Definitely something for you to dig into.

MAC85
Posted
Posted

Good thing I have zero aspirations for political office or politics generally. 

I’ve studied administration and policy, like standardized test-taking in public education and labor unions. My research was on oversight that improves good government and militates against waste, fraud, and abuse. I’m more of a researcher, academic, instructor, and data analyst. 

I actually would really like to get into policy areas like resource management, disaster management (like related to climate change), and more actuarial applied mathematics. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, MAC85 said:

Good thing I have zero aspirations for political office or politics generally. 

I’ve studied administration and policy, like standardized test-taking in public education and labor unions. My research was on oversight that improves good government and militates against waste, fraud, and abuse. I’m more of a researcher, academic, instructor, and data analyst. 

I actually would really like to get into policy areas like resource management, disaster management (like related to climate change), and more actuarial applied mathematics. 

It is difficult for a foreigner to get employment here.   The employer has to first provide proof that the position cannot be filled by a Filipino.  As what you are seeking would most likely be a government position it would be unlikely that a government agency would hire a non-Philippine citizen.   My opinion of course as too the third sentence.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The University of the Philippines, Diliman Campus would be the place to inquire about a PhD program.  They have an excellent faculty for your field of study.  The cautionary message about local politics refers to involvement such as participating in political demonstrations or writing articles criticizing politicians.  First step is to inquire with your current university if they have any exchange programs.  This university level exchange will likewise help with the visa application.

Once you complete your studies, there are job opportunities in the Philippines and Asia.  One example is the Asian Development Bank whose salaries are comparable to the United States and not taxable under US laws due to international treaties.  Another is Ford Foundation.  They have an active presence in the Philippines gathering both political and economic statistics.  There is also heightened interest in the Philippines as a US military support base because of heightened tensions with China.  Government agencies like USAid are increasing their staff.

• Like 1