Lee Super Plaza Changes Hands February 11th

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

News on Shopping ( members living in the Dumaguete Area mainly + those that use the Store;

No description available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Quite the history as to why this happened which for some reason isn't being picked up by the media in general.

Long story short, after dozens of employee complaints Lee was investigated by Department of Labour and Employment (DOLE) and was found to be lacking in their payment of minimum wage.  Lee agreed to pay the correct wages moving forward.  DOLE stated they had to pay back wages going back to the dawn of time - including past employees; fair enough I reckon, worker exploitation is bad.  Bottom line is that Lee couldn't afford it so this happened.  

Workplace regulatory bodies in other countries enforce this type of thing all the time.  It's the first instance I've ever heard of it actually happening in PI. Progress? Or did someone forget to grease the right palms?  Have they just incorporated under another name? Or is the change of ownership legit?

Edited by BrettGC

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Have they just incorporated under another name? Or is the change of ownership legit?

Bated Breath comes to Mind :tiphat:

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Or is the change of ownership legit?

From what I understand, the Lees will retain ownership under the Corporation and Lease out the company to management teams but keeping the name of all outlets:rolleyes:

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

From what I understand, the Lees will retain ownership under the Corporation and Lease out the company to management teams but keeping the name of all outlets:rolleyes:

WELCOME BACK, LEE PLAZA! 🥳
JUST IN: Lee Super Plaza and its sister store, LP Hypermart, will be reopening under new management on Sunday, Feb. 11, 2024.
This was after Edgar Chan of ONEPRIME confirmed that his company acquired Lee Super Plaza from Dynamic Development Corporation (DDC), its previous owners.
Under ONEPRIME, Lee Super Plaza and Hypermart will retain their original names and rehire 85 percent of the stores' employees.
Chan told reporters that Lee Super Plaza's Feb. 4 closure was a business decision of its former owners. DDC, which decided to focus on leasing property, will retain ownership of the store's iconic building in downtown Dumaguete.
Chan noted that DDC had granted his request to retain the Lee Plaza name, as he deemed it more practical than rebranding the mall.
He added that he decided to reopen Lee Super Plaza a day after Chinese New Year out of "concern for the employees."
To mark the mall's reopening, a simple program, along with a dragon dance in accordance with Chinese tradition, is scheduled on Sunday.
Lee Super Plaza first opened in 1988 and has since been known as a Dumaguete icon over the last three decades.
  • Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Be interesting to see if DOLE goes after DDC for the back pay they still owe. 

2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

which for some reason isn't being picked up by the media in general.

I forgot, it's not Luzon, or more specifically NCR, so would never make the news.... 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I wonder if they are having a grand reopening party. Naw didn't think so.

• Haha 2