BI set to upgrade e-gates to reduce processing time

Lee
Posted
Posted

Some of us don't have smart phones allowing us to show BI the email in lieu of a sticker on their passport. What is the work around for this?

Airport passengers urged to use e-gates for faster processing

The Bureau of Immigration announced on Thursday that it would upgrade the electronic gates at the country's international airports.

With the upgrade, the BI said arriving passengers can expect the removal of the scanning of boarding passes when using the e-gates, which it said would lessen the processing time.

According to Immigration Commissioner Norman Tansingco, the agency is currently integrating the data of airlines to connect with the e-gates.

He said they received reports that some passengers were unable to use the e-gates as their flight records were not yet in the system.

“Our e-gates are also being reconfigured to be label-free,” Tansingco said in a statement.

“Instead of printing a sticker to be attached to the passport, passengers will receive an email acknowledging their arrival. This is the best practice that we are emulating from other countries,” he added. —VBL, GMA Integrated News

BI set to upgrade e-gates to reduce processing time (msn.com)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Lee said:

Some of us don't have smart phones allowing us to show BI the email in lieu of a sticker on their passport. What is the work around for this?

I expect that you, and others without smart phones, would continue to go through the existing process. 

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

What sticker would that be ??  Immigration only uses stamps .....

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

There will still be manual entrance points like always so there will be no drama if one has no smartphone. I don't know if the E-gates will be for all as at the moment they are only for Filipinos unless that's changed since the last time I was there.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

In most countries the e-gates are for citizens and permanent residents only.  Be interesting to see where 13a holders in PI stand with relation to this. 13a holders seem to be quasi-permanent residents rather than in the "normal" sense as defined in other countries.  This is demonstrated by the fact that if you leave PI for an extended period you have to go through the entire process again.  In many countries permanent residency is just that:  Permanent.  

• Like 3

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

The e-gates are for Philippine Passport Holders only.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, BrettGC said:

In many countries

In many countries logical joined up thinking applies... always good to remember where we are... and where we arent lol

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, BrettGC said:

In most countries the e-gates are for citizens and permanent residents only.  Be interesting to see where 13a holders in PI stand with relation to this. 13a holders seem to be quasi-permanent residents rather than in the "normal" sense as defined in other countries.  This is demonstrated by the fact that if you leave PI for an extended period you have to go through the entire process again.  In many countries permanent residency is just that:  Permanent.  

As an aside, I had permanent residency in Hong Kong but lost it after being away for 3 years.  

Also, what would be classed as an extended period?  I toyed with the idea of returning to work in Hong Kong a few years ago and when I asked no-one was able to say how long we can be AWOL - by inference more than a year as the Annual report system has a late reporting provision. 

Unpopular opinion maybe but I actually agree that 13a holders should lose their permanent residency in some situations - especially if the citizen remains here and the spouse spends an extended period of time outside then it's hard to argue they are cohabiting which is a requirement of the 13a visa.  We actually lose out resident status in the UK if we are out more than half the year although it's easy enough to regain it by returning for , I think, 3 months.  At least that's how it works for the NHS.

• Like 2