Land Transportation Office Problems

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is a Manila news article that the Land Transportation Office (LTO) is experiencing difficulties issuing plastic driver's licenses to license holders.  LTO doesn't have blanks and the agency has refused the Philippine Society of Medicine for Drivers donation of four million plastic cards.  Maybe they also want the donor to give them additional gifts.

I am currently in Rapid City, South Dakota to renew mine after 10 years.  The system here is wonderful and very efficient.  An appointment is recommended to receive priority service.  Arriving 25 minutes early at the Department of Motor Vehicles, they called my name in less than one minute.  The downloaded application was filled in the night before and all supporting documents ready.  The eye exam was simply reading one line on a machine followed by picture taking.  Gave them $28 and a new plastic license card took another minute to print.  Total time "in and out" was 9 minutes.  All equipment fitted on top of a counter including the printer.  Except for a door greeter, the entire transaction was handled by one employee.  

The bad news is I had to drive 1,500 miles to get here.  Today, my wife and I visited Custer State Park to see herds of Tatanka (American bison), Prong Horn (American antelope), wild donkeys and Big Horn sheep.  Tomorrow, we depart for Yellowstone National Park.

Our current plan is to be back in the Philippines by Christmas. Maybe for a longer visit.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

There is a Manila news article that the Land Transportation Office (LTO) is experiencing difficulties issuing plastic driver's licenses to license holders.  LTO doesn't have blanks and the agency has refused the Philippine Society of Medicine for Drivers donation of four million plastic cards.  Maybe they also want the donor to give them additional gifts.

I seem to recall reading and article that said the reason for refusal was a law suit by the company that had the contract to supply the plastic blanks. 

• Like 2

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

I seem to recall reading and article that said the reason for refusal was a law suit by the company that had the contract to supply the plastic blanks. 

Yes on the reason.  Somehow that affected the National ID cards and Post Office issued Identification Cards.  Amazing that 1 law suit could shut down the country. Arg!

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Mike J said:

Probably because there was almost certainly some back door shennanigans associated with the donation - why would anyone out of the goodness of their heart make such a donation no-strings-attached?