Anyone had any experience bringing a dog to PH

Ryan10
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

First post, I'm currently living in Thailand and have been for 4 years adopting 2 dogs along the way, I do love it here but theres a growing anti foreigner mentality growing due to some incidents and also just the influx of people into areas from the current wars so considering a change of scenery for a few years if not permanently. Anyways, I've been to the Philippines before and enjoyed it there, along with English being spoken more widely that other Asian nations I'm considering a move. Visa wise it seems it will be easy for me to start with a tourist visa and extend multiple times for up to 3 years (is this still correct?) just wondering about the dogs, how easy is it to get the pet permit required to enter, use an agent better? (other requirements seem normal and will not be an issue including Rabies tests and I live on an island with zero cases in 20 years right now)

This might not be the right forum, but how easy is it to find a house that allows dogs inside the house (I know location to location it might be different so perhaps a recommendation on where is best for pups) and is it easy to find places to walk your dogs, good vets?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome Ryan.  You are correct about the visa requirements to enter and extend as a tourist.  We brought our two dogs from the USA 10 years ago so requirements may have changed.  I see they have added the requirement that the dog be micro chipped.   You can get started by reading the FAQ section at https://www.bai.gov.ph/lsp-faq

Prior to buying our house we had no problem finding multiple houses for rent that allowed dogs.  Depending on the breed and size you may have to provide a larger than normal security/damage deposit.  Availability of good vet care varies depending on location.  The larger the city or town the more likely to have multiple vets.  Walking is sort of the opposite.  It may be a challenge to find an enjoyable route in larger cities.  There are also lots of stray dogs and cats most everywhere in the Philippines so it's important to keep current on all shots in addition to rabies. 

Edited by Mike J
Corrected the URL for Bureau of Animal Industry
  • Like 2

Ryan10
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Mike J said:

Welcome Ryan.  You are correct about the visa requirements to enter and extend as a tourist.  We brought our two dogs from the USA 10 years ago so requirements may have changed.  I see they have added the requirement that the dog be micro chipped.   You can get started by reading the FAQ section at https://www.bai.gov.ph/lsp-faq

Prior to buying our house we had no problem finding multiple houses for rent that allowed dogs.  Depending on the breed and size you may have to provide a larger than normal security/damage deposit.  Availability of good vet care varies depending on location.  The larger the city or town the more likely to have multiple vets.  Walking is sort of the opposite.  It may be a challenge to find an enjoyable route in larger cities.  There are also lots of stray dogs and cats most everywhere in the Philippines so it's important to keep current on all shots in addition to rabies. 

Thank you! Yeah the strays are the same in Thailand, we have a few set routes where we know the strays so leash the boys up before we get to the areas and give the strays treats etc so they like us coming, so guess it would be the same thing learn the routes or test the new ones alone. There shots and rabies are up to date right now and will be for the travel docs if we decide to come, the older one is chipped and the younger recently adopted one is being done next week. Larger deposit is understandable and expected as I have a Golden retriever so he's pretty big at 37kg and the other is a small Thai stray but house broken of course. 

• Like 1