LTO vows to intensify inter-island operation vs colorum vehicles

Lee
Posted
Posted

MANILA, Philippines—Staying committed to its anti-colorum drive, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) on Wednesday vowed to intensify its efforts to combat “inter-island” travels by unauthorized vehicles.

Colorum is the term for unregistered or unauthorized vehicles, such as public utility vehicles (PUVs) that operate without the proper permits or authorization from relevant government agencies

“[T]he LTO intends to double time its efforts and widen its net by coordinating efforts with the Philippine National Police, Philippine Coast Guard, and Special Action and Intelligence Committee for Transportation,” said Mendoza.

In line with this bid, Mendoza said it will strengthen its coordination with ports authorities to ensure that colorum vehicles cannot travel inter-island, especially using roll-on, roll-off vessels.

We will shut the doors in the various ports to prevent colorum motor vehicles from travelling from Visayas to Metro Manila. We will also hit them at the terminals and expressways. We will control key junctions in key cities to prevent them from plying,” said Mendoza.

READ: More impounding areas ready for ‘colorum’ PUVs

He added that “coordination meetings” will also be conducted with PNP and PCG in coming up with “criminal charges” against colorum vehicles and its operators.

Mendoza said at present, the penalty of operating a colorum vehicle is imprisonment of up to six years and a fine of up to P2 million.

LTO vows to intensify inter-island operation vs colorum vehicles (msn.com)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Enforcement, enforcement, enforcement! Talk is cheap and in my view this is just another example of an official gilding the lilly.

The latest colorum fad in our area is the use of E-trikes and carts competing with pedicabs and trikes. On more that one occasion I have seen money change hands right in front of traffic enforcers. Naturally nothing is done.:89:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

It is already a pain in the butt to take a vehicle from island to island.  It will probably just make it harder on expats since we do not know who to pay off.

Gator
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

It is already a pain in the butt to take a vehicle from island to island.  It will probably just make it harder on expats since we do not know who to pay off.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but I’d like some clarification on why you think it’s a “pain in the butt” using RoRo’s (roll on / roll off ferries) and who you think needs to be paid off as well for what reason? You had a bad experience? Sharing might help others learn from it. 

In nearly 15 years my numerous experiences in using them have been positive and I’ve never had to pay off anyone. Before the pandemic when I lived in Cebu I’ve to traveled with both cars and motorcycles from / to Cebu to Bohol, Negros, Camotes and Leyte. Last year the wife and I did a 6 week road trip from Luzon to: Samar, Leyte (via the bridge), Cebu, Negros, Panay, Negros, Cebu, Negros (again), Cebu and then the new overnight RoRo route from Cebu back to Luzon. Other then waiting once or twice for a couple of hours as we didn’t know the schedules we didn’t have any issues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1