PAGASA declares start of Philippines’ 2024 rainy season

Rooster
Posted
Posted

May 29, 2024 6:25 PM PHT

MANILA, Philippines – The weather bureau announced the start of the Philippines’ rainy season on Wednesday, May 29.

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said the following brought significant rain to the western parts of Luzon and the Visayas in the past few days:

• scattered rain showers
  • frequent thunderstorms
  • Typhoon Aghon (Ewiniar)
  • southwest monsoon or habagat

The volume of rain that fell, along with the winds blowing from the southwest, meant the criteria to declare the onset of the rainy season have been met.

PAGASA also warned that there is a high chance of La Niña developing in the July-September period.

According to the weather bureau, La Niña would increase the likelihood of above-normal rainfall in parts of the country, especially toward the end of the year.

“The public and all concerned agencies are advised to take precautionary measures against the adverse impacts of the rainy season, habagat, and the impending La Niña such as floods and rain-induced landslides,” PAGASA Administrator Nathaniel Servando said in a statement.

For June to November, the weather bureau expects 10 to 13 tropical cyclones to enter or develop inside the Philippine Area of Responsibility.

But even during the rainy season, there will be “breaks in rainfall that extend over a few days or weeks,” called monsoon breaks.

https://www.rappler.com/philippines/weather/pagasa-rainy-season-2024/

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

On Tuesday about 6-7 pm, we were forced to go out to Olongapo.  It was raining hard and the streets were flooding.  The wiper blades on my Trailblazer were shot (new ones arrived yesterday) to I had to use the low slung Brio.  If was iffy a few times.  However, what was most disgusting was all the garbage welling up from the drainage canals.  The garbage was all over the streets.  Months and months of Filipinos throwing their garbage anywhere and it all got flushed out.

109136663-Its_Raining_Cats_and_Dogs.jpg

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

The garbage was all over the streets.  Months and months of Filipinos throwing their garbage anywhere and it all got flushed out

Was showing my wife some pictures of places I used to fish, hike, or just hang out, and one of the first things she said was, "wow no garbage"

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Still dry in Moalboal.  Vegetation is so dry that there have been a few grass fires, normally unheard of around here.

• Sad 2