Corned Beef Hash

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

You guys have been so serious lately...

How about this:

Has anyone made corned beef hash here in the PI using canned corned beef? I have a recipe from online for this but am just curious if anyone has done this? I have not found prepared corned beef in any stores here, but canned corned beef is available everywhere...

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

You guys have been so serious lately...

How about this:

Has anyone made corned beef hash here in the PI using canned corned beef? I have a recipe from online for this but am just curious if anyone has done this? I have not found prepared corned beef in any stores here, but canned corned beef is available everywhere...

Tried the Ox and Palm a few times but did not really like it.  Trying to stay away from many of the foods I used to devour in my younger days.   Corned beef hash and eggs was one of my all time favorite breakfasts

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Tried the Ox and Palm a few times but did not really like it.  Trying to stay away from many of the foods I used to devour in my younger days.   Corned beef hash and eggs was one of my all time favorite breakfasts

Thanks for the reply... Yeah, I agree and do not eat so much salty/fatty foods as when I was a youngster (before 50)...

I really avoid any Ox and Palm corned beef. I tried some of that a couple of times and was disgusted by the amount of fat and chunks of gristle. I kept thinking of what parts of beef do these come from??? I prefer the South American/Brazilian brands, but some of the Ozzie and Kiwi brands seem okay...but never the Ox and Palm...!!!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, I supervised a nephew (Filipino) to make this today and it was surprisingly good. It was chunkier than the ground up, canned version, but we were able to doctor it up for flavours and adjust the ingredient mix... All in all, it was great! We happened to use a canned corn beef that I picked up at S & R some time ago - I think it's called "Ranch Style" but with no brand name that I recall. But it was mostly lean, not ground up, and no gristly or mystery bits. I found a recipe online that was super easy with no listing of quantities of ingredients, so we just went by what looked right... I will definitely make this again!

We topped it off with French style scrambled eggs (i.e. scrambled eggs that are cooked just until done and still supple, not hard).

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted

S&R often has Mary Kitchen branded canned corned beef hash from the USA. That the type your  looking for? 

IMG_2757.jpeg

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I remember from my childhood in the Philippines the canned corned beef produced in Brazil.  You fried it with garlic and onions until the meat was crunchy.  Today's meat is very fatty with bits of light brown innards.  Try prolonging the frying to get the meat crispy and it turns into mash.  

As Hawaii residents, the big deal is Spam.  Hormel has a Spam Museum on the mainland which we visited.  They have an emergency supply warehouse, using a former ordinance bunker that previously stored shells for battleships, in the event the local supermarkets run out.  

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Gator said:

S&R often has Mary Kitchen branded canned corned beef hash from the USA. That the type your  looking for? 

IMG_2757.jpeg

Yup.... That's what I had been looking for, but they did not have that at the local S & R. So we made our own. I think our home-made version was much better, so glad I was forced into making that!

• Like 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted (edited)

You can get Armour and Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash at Gaisano branded grocery stores in Davao. I get it all the time. You can get it a G-Mall or G-Market or Gaisano Grand; take your pick. It's not always in stock, but they restock regularly. My girls love it, so it's a regular purchase for us. Also, if you're like me and too lazy to go get it, you can find it on Lazada or Shopee most times. Hope this helps.

Edited by StayAtHomeDad
  • Like 3