Refried Beans

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

L and I regularly find refried beans at G-Mall.  They usually have Rosarita and Old El Paso among some other brands I am not familiar with... During the pandemic, we could not find them anywhere so I ordered some from Lazada - but everywhere they seem expensive...I don't remember the prices any more but, to me, they are priceless for my Mexican favourite recipes!

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

Refried beans are super easy to make. I use dry red beans which I get online. The onion, cilantro, olive oil, garlic. chili powder and  other spices we keep on hand.

• Like 5

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Possum said:

Refried beans are super easy to make. I use dry red beans which I get online. The onion, cilantro, olive oil, garlic. chili powder and  other spices we keep on hand.

Agree. Very easy to make. Pinto beans are the authentic ones to use, but you can use any type. Growing up poor they were a staple in our house along with red or black beans and rice. Grandma’s recipe for refried beans called for bacon grease when she fried them. Gave them a nice smoky flavor. 

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

Happened to come across the below article. Learn something new everyday; even if it is a relatively useless fact, lol

'Refried' Beans Doesn't Mean What You Think It Means.

Foods from different cultures aren't always fully translated when they are made in America — figuratively and literally. Take refried beans, for instance. You might think the name means someone is sweating over the stove frying these beans over and over again, but that's not true. This well-loved Mexican and Tex-Mex side dish gets its somewhat erroneous English name from some linguistic confusion when making the switch from Spanish to English. The dish, originally called "frijoles refritos," means "very fried" — and the beans are fried only once. In the English language, the prefix "re" means to do again. In Spanish, "re" is added to words in order to emphasize them. Hence, refried beans are actually well-fried once, not fried and then fried again and then fried again, and so on. 

Refried beans are actually pretty new to Mexican food, appearing about 100 years ago. Pinto beans were originally used to make refried beans, though now it's not unusual to see red kidney beans being used in addition to pinto. Basically, you boil and mash the beans to a paste and then bake them or fry them ONLY ONCE. Please. Step away from the stove and enjoy your beans.

How to incorporate refried beans into your meals.

Since their introduction, refried beans have become a staple at Mexican restaurants, alongside black beans. You can get them in a burrito, in an enchilada, on a tostada, or in a layered nachos dish. They can also be used as a dip with tortilla chips. They are warm, luxurious, comforting, and hearty. They are also very easy to make at home. Some of the most common ingredients in refried beans include: Onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, olive oil, oregano, cumin, and chili powder — but there are so many recipes out there that play with spice, texture, and flavor. 

Every good recipe begins with the beans, so make sure you soak them overnight. Then add them to a saucepan of water with the rest of the ingredients you've chosen. After they've cooked, blend everything to your desired consistency and then REALLY FRY THEM. ONCE. If you're low on time, you can use canned refried beans and fuss with them a little bit to get them up to your desired flavor level. No judgment! Sometimes you don't have the time for soaking the beans overnight and not everyone has an instant pot. You can add sour cream to those canned beans to add texture, sprinkle in some spices for heat, or saute some garlic and throw that in.

https://www.chowhound.com/1601280/refried-beans-myth/

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
KrisT
Posted
Posted

If SnR ever runs dry, I always find them at Landers.