Another Newbie Question

lou
Posted
Posted

I have not bought my tickets yet but I am hoping to get to Cebu in early February. I plan to stay at the Diplomat, Fuente Pension, Apple Tree Suites, or maybe Kiwi Lodge which I think are all uptown and near Ayayla Mall, which seems like a popular place to go. I don't know how to ride the buses or jeepneys so I guess I will either take a cab or walk since I enjoy walking. I have two questions. #1. Are cabs readily available 24/7 since I don't want to walk alone at night in a strange city? and question #2. Will I be able to walk around without being harassed by agressive beggars or panhandlers? I don't handle aggression or intimidation real well sometimes and my biggest fear is that I end up in the slammer for hurting someone while defending myself which would be a real bummer having no backup in a far away place. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have not bought my tickets yet but I am hoping to get to Cebu in early February. I plan to stay at the Diplomat, Fuente Pension, Apple Tree Suites, or maybe Kiwi Lodge which I think are all uptown and near Ayayla Mall, which seems like a popular place to go. I don't know how to ride the buses or jeepneys so I guess I will either take a cab or walk since I enjoy walking. I have two questions. #1. Are cabs readily available 24/7 since I don't want to walk alone at night in a strange city? and question #2. Will I be able to walk around without being harassed by agressive beggars or panhandlers? I don't handle aggression or intimidation real well sometimes and my biggest fear is that I end up in the slammer for hurting someone while defending myself which would be a real bummer having no backup in a far away place. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi LouI will try to answer some of your questions.The first three hotels are close to the up town center of the city,the Kiwi Lodge I believe is in a bit of an out of the way place but I have not been there.From all of these hotels it is a taxi ride to Ayala.Taxis are always available in the city.This is a third world country so at times you will be harassed by beggars,what ever you do,do not loose your temper and end up in jail,keep cool and keep walking or you will regret it.In my experience most beggars are children.Here is a link to a Cebu map which might help you see where things arehttp://www.cebubesthomes.com/userfiles/cebu-city-map-cebu-ph.pdf
  • Like 1

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hi Lou, My recommendation is TAKE CABS! They are readilly available, reliable, and cheap. Don't walk until you have scouted the area and know where you will be walking. There are not good consistent sidewalks, there is a lot of smog, potholes, and potentially puddles after any rain. Jeepneys are also cheap ... but very unconfortable and have other risks. If you are out at night in any area where there is activity: restaurant, bar, disco, club -- you will find taxis waiting. I have found they consistently use the meters here and don't hastle you (unlike Manila). You will get to just about any place you want to go for 40 - 70 pesos maximum which is $.75 - 1.50. Keep small bills ... 50, 100. They may not have change for 500. You can also discuss with any driver that you find that you like or find the condition of their cab desirable what their rate might be by the hour or for the day. This is a negotiation. You might find some willing to support you for 250P- 500P / hour depending on your total length of time. If you are planning on visiting a variety of destinations and find a driver you really like -- this is a nice option and less than the cost of renting a car for the day.You could potentially be harassed by beggars and panhandlers even when in a car or taxi. I find that they are not "agressive" here by my worse case Jamaica and European gypsy high water marks. Just say no or look away and they will eventually go away. I would advise doing that if you are alone.I live here for the last 6 months and use cabs as my everyday mode of transportation 2 - 6 times a day -- so I know them well. I have not had any problem. Edited by Gold Heart
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
The Kiwi is sort of out of the way and may I suggest the Maxwell Hotel which is a newer hotel and away from the beggar area of Robinsons Mall. The Maxwell may cost you more but IMO it would be worth it if you are that sensitive about beggars since it is within a mile of Ayala and not a beggar in sight, it is easy to walk to Ayala and other places without a hassle. Taxis are just about everywhere except in side streets and the few times I have been to the Kiwi lodge for a meal, we always had to walk a couple of blocks to find a taxi, not sure if that has changed but I am pretty sure it has not. We live not far from the Maxwell and always walk around that area and run into an occasional street vendor selling their goods but they are not as aggressive as the kids you may encounter begging near Robinsons.Reading your words make me worry that the Philippines may not be for you. You really need to be easy going and laid back to tolerate some of the things that go on, and other than raising your voice with a deep "No" there really should be no need for aggression on your part when approached or your fears could end up a reality. I have never had to strike a Filipino and I hope I never do and I have only had a few grab my arm when begging and a quick reverse twist of the arm got them off without having to hit anyone so if you are that touchy, then definitely stay away from Osmena Circle and anywhere near Robinsons mall and that may also include the Diplomat if walking around since it is blocks from Robinsons. Inexpensive pension house areas often come with beggars and as others mentioned, you may also encounter beggars while in the taxi, just keep the doors locked and read a magazine and avoid eye contact and you will not feel compelled to give because many of those that beg at traffic lights can often pull at your heart strings.

lou
Posted
Posted

Mr. Lee, Gold Heart, and Bossman, thank you for the replies and the concerns. I wasnt to assure you that I am a laid back easygoing guy and I never look for trouble or hit first, I will always walk away if I can. But sometimes people don't give you the opportunity to walk away and you either stand there and get hit or robbed or you fight back. That is why I asked if taxis are readily available 24/7. And I want to avoid places where sh*t like that might happen. Thanks again for the advice. Lou

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Mr. Lee, Gold Heart, and Bossman, thank you for the replies and the concerns. I wasnt to assure you that I am a laid back easygoing guy and I never look for trouble or hit first, I will always walk away if I can. But sometimes people don't give you the opportunity to walk away and you either stand there and get hit or robbed or you fight back. That is why I asked if taxis are readily available 24/7. And I want to avoid places where sh*t like that might happen. Thanks again for the advice. Lou
Lou, you might try the place I suggested for a few days and until you get the feel for the place. I have never had any problems beyond a kid grabbing my arm and I did not particularly like a kid who was dirty grabbing my arm but it is a kid and if you walk fast and say no then most of the time they will just leave you alone. I will be there Feb to May so if you need someone to show you some of the places or to walk around with so you feel more comfortable then just let me know and I would be happy to do it and try to help you until you get your Cebu legs. Once you become a full member then you will be able to send pm's, so just pm me ahead of time and I will gladly meet up with you. Also National Book store in the malls sell a nice map of Cebu with most places on it. Below is a link to an interactive map of Cebu that will probably help you. Cebu interactive mapYou will notice the green circle, that is Osmena Circle and if you look just above and to the left of the word Camputhaw then you will see Maxwell hotel across from the Shell station.
  • Like 1