American, Filipina Wife Nabbed For Alleged Illegal Recruitment

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a situation here in Surigao City. There is a couple who were arrested and thrown in jail early in November. I really do not know how I can help this man and his wife. He is an American and his wife is Filipino, and they also have a 1-1/2 year old boy. They were living in the Cebu area, before they became residence of the Surigao City jail. They have an appointed lawyer but I think he is dragging his heals. It is difficult when both husband and wife when they are in the same cell. They do have a couple of cell phones in their cell but do not have access to the internet. He mother is not well and is keeping their son at her house here in Surigao. He does have a 60% VA pension, so he does have regular funds. I am trying to connect him with a local trial lawyer who I have developed a friendship with. I could really use some sound advice on how to assist him.These are the two articles that hit the news wire.http://www.gmanews.t...gal-recruitmentAmerican, Filipina wife nabbed for alleged illegal recruitment 11/17/2009 | 12:33 PM SURIGAO CITY – Authorities here arrested an American and his Filipina wife for alleged large-scale illegal recruitment of Filipinos applying for work abroad. The Surigao City police identified the suspects as 46-year-old Michael David Hollomon of Indiana and 30-year-old Armin Degrano Hollomin also known as Fe Lipao of Bantayan Island in Cebu province.Complainants all residing in the city claimed that they gave the couple huge amount of money in exchange for jobs overseas. The complainants are sisters Ellan Joy Cortes Camporedondo and Genevieve Guerra Camporedondo; businessman Ederio Sulapas Redon; Gerlie Ablos Puyales; Frechie Catin Sendiong; and Charisse Mae Gesta Gerona. The couple was slapped with three arrest orders. Two were from the Municipal Trial Courts of Makati City Branch 66 (with bail bond recommended) and Branch 145 (no bail bond recommended); while the other was from the Municipal Trial Court 2 of Surigao City for estafa with recommended bail bond of P6,000. - GMANews.TV and this is the other articlehttp://www.abs-cbnne...gal-recruitmentFake 'Obama aide' arrested for illegal recruitment by Trini Velasco, ABS-CBN Butuan | 11/19/2009 4:06 PM SURIGAO CITY - An American national who introduced himself as the staff of US President Barack Obama was arrested by police last Tuesday for allegedly recruiting local workers for overseas jobs without the proper permits. Elements of the Surigao City Police Office identified the suspect as Michael David Holloman, 46. His Filipino wife, Armin Degrano Holloman, was also arrested. Victims said the sweet-talking Holloman introduced himself as a staff of the US President and and would offer victims various jobs in America with P130,000 monthly salary. Police said at least eight residents were victimized by the scheme before finding out that Holloman's placement agency was not registered with the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). Charges of large scale illegal recruitment have been filed against the suspects. with a report from May Diez, ABS-CBN News I talked to them a couple of times in their cell, and I would like to help them.

Edited by jamesmusslewhite

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have a situation here in Surigao City. There is a couple who were arrested and thrown in jail early in November. I really do not know how I can help this man and his wife. He is an American and his wife is Filipino, and they also have a 1-1/2 year old boy. They were living in the Cebu area, before they became residence of the Surigao City jail. They have an appointed lawyer but I think he is dragging his heals. It is difficult when both husband and wife when they are in the same cell. They do have a couple of cell phones in their cell but do not have access to the internet. He mother is not well and is keeping their son at her house here in Surigao. He does have a 60% VA pension, so he does have regular funds. I am trying to connect him with a local trial lawyer who I have developed a friendship with. I could really use some sound advice on how to assist him.These are the two articles that hit the news wire.http://www.gmanews.t...gal-recruitmentAmerican, Filipina wife nabbed for alleged illegal recruitment 11/17/2009 | 12:33 PM SURIGAO CITY

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted
I have a situation here in Surigao City. There is a couple who were arrested and thrown in jail early in November. I really do not know how I can help this man and his wife. He is an American and his wife is Filipino, and they also have a 1-1/2 year old boy. They were living in the Cebu area, before they became residence of the Surigao City jail. They have an appointed lawyer but I think he is dragging his heals. It is difficult when both husband and wife when they are in the same cell. They do have a couple of cell phones in their cell but do not have access to the internet. He mother is not well and is keeping their son at her house here in Surigao. He does have a 60% VA pension, so he does have regular funds. I am trying to connect him with a local trial lawyer who I have developed a friendship with. I could really use some sound advice on how to assist him.These are the two articles that hit the news wire.http://www.gmanews.t...gal-recruitmentAmerican, Filipina wife nabbed for alleged illegal recruitment 11/17/2009 | 12:33 PM SURIGAO CITY

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This is a tough one,no one knows enough,not even you. They may sound like a nice couple through the bars but they also maybe what it appears they are,con artists.They would not be the first to gain financially from this sort of rort. Have they given you a defense worth listening too?Hopefully you will be able to find some real facts but at this stage I personally feel that there where they should be.:welcome:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I really do not know how to help them except asking if you contacted the US embassy to let them know what is going on? Maybe they can help them or at least cut to the chase and seek their release. What they are charged with is a serious crime in the Philippines and if they are guilty then they deserve what they get for taking advantage of Filipinos but if they are not then it is just one more reason to not get involved in any businesses in the Philippines and I pray they will eventually find their way out of the jam they are in. I am sorry I do not know any other way to help except maybe finding a local lawyer because you know the area best and then paying him to read all the evidence and trying to make a deal for them.

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted
I really do not know how to help them except asking if you contacted the US embassy to let them know what is going on? Maybe they can help them or at least cut to the chase and seek their release. What they are charged with is a serious crime in the Philippines and if they are guilty then they deserve what they get for taking advantage of Filipinos but if they are not then it is just one more reason to not get involved in any businesses in the Philippines and I pray they will eventually find their way out of the jam they are in. I am sorry I do not know any other way to help except maybe finding a local lawyer because you know the area best and then paying him to read all the evidence and trying to make a deal for them.
I am trying to connect them with a trail lawyer I have made friends with since I moved here in Surigao. I know he can get to the bottoms of this mess. The wife is the heave charge. She could be facing a Life sentence. He is downgraded to being an Accessory. Truth is if the PNP Officer had not asked me to see if I could help them and there was not a 1-1/2 year old boy, I would have stayed clear. That old "Guilt by Association" thing.

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted
This is a tough one,no one knows enough,not even you. They may sound like a nice couple through the bars but they also maybe what it appears they are,con artists.They would not be the first to gain financially from this sort of rort. Have they given you a defense worth listening too?Hopefully you will be able to find some real facts but at this stage I personally feel that there where they should be.:welcome:
You are right and that is what nags me most. What if they are guilty, than they deserve this and more. But they have a 1-1/2 year old son. I now know how the mouse feels staring at the cheese in the center of the trip.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

Whether they are guilty or not, I don't see why they belong in jail pending trial. All the govt. has to do is revoke their exit privileges and let them out on a large bail. After that, let justice run its course. Personally, I'd focus on figuring out if they can be bailed out and leave their guilt or innocence out of things. Unfortunately, the article said one of the offenses was a non-bailable offense.

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted
Whether they are guilty or not, I don't see why they belong in jail pending trial. All the govt. has to do is revoke their exit privileges and let them out on a large bail. After that, let justice run its course. Personally, I'd focus on figuring out if they can be bailed out and leave their guilt or innocence out of things. Unfortunately, the article said one of the offenses was a non-bailable offense.
They offered Michael Hollomon bail set at 40,000 pesos. Told him possible 20,000 by his lawyer. She is the one looking and the big charge. His has been downgraded to being an accessory. She is local, he is American and with a small child. Where would they run to, plus it is almost impossible for them to do anything to defend themselves when both are in jail together. Her family is worthless, his family back in the States have no money to help him. He does have a 60% service connected disability check coming in every month. I think they may be milking him, or just trying to stick it to a Kano.I just do not have the funds to assist them, I have too many commitments over the next few months which tries up my cash flow. I have only talked to them a few times over the last two weeks. I was asked if I could help them by one of the PNP Officers who was one of the investigators on the case when they were arrested. I can not just stand by and let them get hammered without the chance to defend themselves and get proper due process. They are telling her she may be facing a possible Life sentence but if they pay $6,000 it will all just go away? I am trying to get them a good lawyer and not the court appointed lawyer who is really only sticking his hand out for more money. There is a good-old-boy system, where everyone is related to everyone else. They need someone outside the local family tree. In Texas we have an expression, "Too many fleas will kill the dog."