Tendancy To "sugar Coat" Statistics?

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

In my never ending quest for information on the Philippines, I came across the official government statistics site. http://www.census.gov.ph/At first glance you would think the unemployment rate there is 7.1%. The link below shows the table I am talking about.http://www.census.go...9/lf0904tx.htmlNow the estimated population is a total of 92.23 million. After reading it several times, i noticed they include a figure of 59.7 million people in the 15+ age group. Out of those they say 38.2 million were in the labor force. So that says to me that 21.5 million people are not working. So should the unemployment rate really be around 36% (21.5/59.7 = .36 x 100)Since the concept of "Hiya" is so important, for some reason I can see people not being entirely to honest about being employed. How many proud fathers would be reluctant to say he was out of work?This is the text I pulled the figures from. To me they really sugar coated the ARMM figures. At first you would think it is great there.

The employment rate or the proportion of employed persons to total labor force was estimated at 92.9 percent in October 2009. The employment rate in October last year was recorded at 93.2 percent. Across regions, the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) posted the highest employment rate at 98.2 percent, followed closely by Cagayan Valley and Zamboanga Peninsula, both registering at 97.2 percent. The National Capital Region (NCR) had the lowest at 88.2 percent. Out of the estimated 59.7 million population 15 years old and over in October 2009, approximately 38.2 million persons were reported to be in the labor force. These figures placed the labor force participation rate (LFPR) to 64.0 percent as compared to last year�s LFPR of 63.7 percent. Among the regions, Northern Mindanao registered the highest LFPR at 71.2 percent and lowest in ARMM at 57.4 percent. Of the estimated 35.5 million employed persons in October 2009, the services sector was the largest employer, getting more than half (51.5%) of the total employed population. The highest employed workforce in the services sector were in wholesale and retail trade, repair of motor vehicles, motorcycles and personal and household goods (6.9 million or 19.4 % of total employed). The agriculture sector was the second largest employer, accounting for 34.0 percent of the total employed. Only 14.5 percent of the total employed were in the industry sector. Among the various occupation groups, laborers and unskilled workers comprised the largest proportion (32.5%) of the total employed population. Farmers, forestry workers and fishermen were the second largest group, accounting for 16.4 percent of the total employed population. Employed persons fall into any of these categories: wage and salary workers, own account workers and unpaid family workers. Wage and salary workers are those who work for private households, private establishments, government or government corporations and those who work with pay in own-family operated farm or business. Majority (53.6%) of the total employed population in October 2009 are wage and salary workers, most of them (39.7%) worked for private establishments. Those working for the government/government controlled corporation accounted for only 8.1 percent. In October 2008, the wage and salary workers accounted for 51.9 percent. Own-account workers, which include the proprietors and self-employed workers constituted 34.5 percent of the total employed with self-employed workers having the larger share (30.5%). The share of unpaid family workers to total employed was 11.9 percent in October 2009. Employed persons are classified as either full-time workers or part-time workers. Full-time workers are those who work for 40 hours or more while part-time workers work for less than 40 hours. Around 22.0 million employed persons (62.2%) were working full time in October 2009, while, 36.3 percent of total employed were part-time workers or worked for less than 40 hours. Employed persons who express the desire to have additional hours of work in their present job or to have additional job, or to have a new job with longer working hours are considered underemployed. The number of underemployed persons in October 2009 was estimated at 6.9 million, placing the current underemployment rate at 19.4 percent. More than half (59.4%) of the total underemployed were reported as visibly underemployed or working for less than 40 hours during the reference week. Those working for 40 hours or more accounted for 37.9 percent of the total underemployed. Most of the underemployed were working in the agriculture sector (46.4%) and services sector (38.5%). The underemployed in the industry sector accounted for 15.0 percent. The unemployment rate in October 2009 was estimated at 7.1 percent. Last year�s estimate was 6.8 percent. NCR posted the highest unemployment rate at 11.8 percent and lowest in ARMM at 1.8 percent. The number of unemployed persons was higher among males (63.8%) than among females (36.2%). About one-half (50.3%) of the unemployed were in age group 15-24 years. Across educational groups, among the unemployed, the high school graduates comprised more than one-third (34.7%), the college undergraduates comprised about one-fifth (21.7%), while the college graduates, 18.0 percent. (Sgd.) CARMELITA N. ERICTA Administrator

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
In my never ending quest for information on the Philippines, I came across the official government statistics site. http://www.census.gov.ph/At first glance you would think the unemployment rate there is 7.1%. The link below shows the table I am talking about.http://www.census.go...9/lf0904tx.htmlNow the estimated population is a total of 92.23 million. After reading it several times, i noticed they include a figure of 59.7 million people in the 15+ age group. Out of those they say 38.2 million were in the labor force. So that says to me that 21.5 million people are not working. So should the unemployment rate really be around 36% (21.5/59.7 = .36 x 100)Since the concept of "Hiya" is so important, for some reason I can see people not being entirely to honest about being employed. How many proud fathers would be reluctant to say he was out of work?This is the text I pulled the figures from. To me they really sugar coated the ARMM figures. At first you would think it is great there.
News agencies and governments all over the world fudge figures to make thingd look s lot better than they actually are but they seem to do it even more in the Philippines because of the face issue, so I believe you are totally correct here.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
News agencies and governments all over the world fudge figures to make thingd look s lot better than they actually are but they seem to do it even more in the Philippines because of the face issue, so I believe you are totally correct here.
The statistice they don't publish is how many of those employed earn wages below the poverty level? How many people are 'employed' as subsistence farmers or sharecroppers. Having a job doesn't mean much here when many of them pay under 200 p per day.