What's Wrong With The Philippines?

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I came across this link on another forum and thought the article was very good. Its worth the time to read it.A Damaged Culture: A New Philippines?

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

My wife and I had a discussion about what the article is talking about. She agrees about the influence and power of the elite. I do believe most of the SM department store empire is owned by an elite few? That is a large sector of the economy being controlled. Many like to think America exploits other countries. May be true to a certain degree. Other factors come into play. After WWII Japan was trashed economically. So was South Korea after the Korean war. Their economies and quality of life is way better than the Philippines. There is still a large U.S. military presence in both countries.I look at the official census site for the Philippines and shake my head. http://www.census.gov.ph/ I really do like the country and most of the people but its politics culture throws me. To me many are expecting to much from the government. One conversation I had with a relative was interesting.Them: The government should give us jobs.Me: Why?Them: So we can make money.Me: So how does the government make money?Them: We pay taxes on what we earn from the government jobs.What is wrong with this way of thinking?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I came across this link on another forum and thought the article was very good. Its worth the time to read it.A Damaged Culture: A New Philippines?
Very interesting and well written. Sad how little things have changed in over 20 years. Doesn't portend much hope for the future.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I personally think that the biggest issue that holds back the poor people of the Philippines is the live for today attitude. Seems many people do not look into the future and also never try to save for tomorrow and often even refuse to discuss the what if issues. I just about had to force my wife to talk about what if something happens to me, so that we could plan for her future if I go before her, which is highly likely since I am 20 year older. I hear it all the time from others that their Filipino wives refuse to discuss the what ifs and if a family refuses to plan for the future or the what ifs then they will almost surely fail or be destined to problems IMO.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The article was written in 1987 and states that the population is (was) 55 million. The current population is estimated to be 92 million and the World Bank predicts it will be 110 million by 2015. A 100% increase in 28 years; despite a drop in population growth of over 2.5% to less then 2, little immigration, and a low average life expectancy. There are many factors but there are far too many people for the limited economic resources.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
I personally think that the biggest issue that holds back the poor people of the Philippines is the live for today attitude. Seems many people do not look into the future and also never try to save for tomorrow and often even refuse to discuss the what if issues. I just about had to force my wife to talk about what if something happens to me, so that we could plan for her future if I go before her, which is highly likely since I am 20 year older. I hear it all the time from others that their Filipino wives refuse to discuss the what ifs and if a family refuses to plan for the future or the what ifs then they will almost surely fail or be destined to problems IMO.
The "Live now" attitude prevails everywhere now. One of my classes in Business Management covered the different attitudes of different generations. Those born in the 80's and 90's have a different outlook than those of us born in the 50 & 60's. Work ethics are different, 80's and 90's see there parents growing up working hard all their lives and for what? They do not get to enjoy life because of working to much. Now a days it seems more like an attitude of entitlement versus hard work. Oh, and about future planing? My wife does not discuss the "what if's" either. Still a work in progress.There is 7 years age difference between us.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

The problem is most people think within borders.. most problems are international and more to do with banks and shady trade deals than anything else. What is wrong with the Philippines is a lot of corruption the same as every other country its just more obvious in the Philippines. Infrastructure projects such as the Marcos Bataan powerplant which was a project that was not only exploited locally on its construction costs but also internationally by the World Bank. The same can be said for AID and military contracts, dont people find it a bit odd how countries give Aid with one hand to a developing nation and at the same time sell them arms?? Reason being its a transfer of funding from e.g. a Country like the U.S. to a private U.S. Company the same is done by the U.K., France and anyone else trading. It also doesnt have to be poor countries but just someone who can guarantee contract transfers. Its partly why I am anti-charity except for those that can be seen transparently which are very few at best. Which is why I advise direct intervention if anything. As corruption and illegal trading is fuelled partly by Aid funding. When you watched the problems in Ethiopia remember the rice in the markets that had been taken by rebels/government forces and then put for sale? So what do we do not only do we provide the rice that is then stolen we then re-buy it from rebel/government forces which then keeps the cycle of war,corruption and poverty going.. The U.N. in my personal opinion should either be restructured or disbanded. Its a bloated organisation riddled with corruption in essence the organisation of any organisation that has political or financial gains are all pretty much corrupt in some form.Why are a lot of Filipinos disinterested by politics? Its not because they are lazy or uneducated but there is a strong feeling things wont change. The same as in the UK with the rumblings still going on of the expenses scandal because at the end of the day even if politicians are thrown out for corruption they will be given a job by "association" you never see a poor politician and its all to do with networking and keeping "favours" for a rainy day.What do I think the solution is for the UK or the Philippines ? (cant say any other country as im not part of them). To be honest being more self sufficent we reside in a world that likes to control us financially. When I say financially I mean like the Oil crisis, the food crisis, Gas/electric Crisis. They are the fundamentals of existence in todays societies and are being exploited by those who control them. The first thing the UK goverment done was throw billions of my pounds into schemes that will no doubt under perform, fail or need at least double its projected investment. Why? Because its supposed to be that way to keep us in debt and exploit the tax payers the same as every nation. But in reality we are generally excessive anyway in what we have/think we need. For example I stopped buying new cars so that I could save the