Oh, The Irony....

TheMason
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are in the process of getting her a spousal visa for the US. Unfortunately, she tested positive for TB and needs to undergo a 6-month antibiotic treatment. The US Embassy only allows this treatment to be given at St. Luke's Clinic in Manila. If you go elsewhere, it delays your visa for about 18 months. So, we've decided to give up our home in Baguio and move to Manila for her treatment period. The clinic and our condo are located in Malate in the heart of the red light district. Given my attitude about that sort of thing, I find it ironic that I'm going to be living in the middle of one of the biggest sex trade areas in all of Asia. I've spent a lot of time in the hotels of Malate over the past month or two while doing her medical stuff and looking for a permanent place to stay. If anyone is traveling there and needs info on hotels or general area info, let me know. I won't be able to help you with the bar scene but know quite a bit about the neighborhood in general.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Unfortunately, she tested positive for TB and needs to undergo a 6-month antibiotic treatment.
I'm sorry to hear about your wife. At hope for a speedy resolution. My wife had a negative TB test in the US after seeking a job there --- she was devasted. Turns out I was told that many Filipinos fail the test as a result of exposure here. Turns out she did not have it and got the job -- but will always fail these initial tests.
I find it ironic that I'm going to be living in the middle of one of the biggest sex trade areas in all of Asia. you with the bar scene but know quite a bit about the neighborhood in general.
I thought Manila paled by comparison to Thailand and in the Philippines, Angeles City. I did not think or realize it was that large in Manila but when you are in the middle of it I'm sure it seems big. I hope you are able to handle for the period of time required. Again best wishes for a rapid and successful treatment.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Unfortunately, she tested positive for TB and needs to undergo a 6-month antibiotic treatment.
I'm sorry to hear about your wife. At hope for a speedy resolution. My wife had a negative TB test in the US after seeking a job there --- she was devasted. Turns out I was told that many Filipinos fail the test as a result of exposure here. Turns out she did not have it and got the job -- but will always fail these initial tests.I thought Manila paled by comparison to Thailand and in the Philippines, Angeles City. I did not think or realize it was that large in Manila but when you are in the middle of it I'm sure it seems big. I hope you are able to handle for the period of time required. Again best wishes for a rapid and successful treatment.
Thank you. We were hoping it was a false positive at first, but the subsequent tests confirmed she has TB. I had a negative chest x-ray but will get further tests done at a better hospital in Manila. The clinic I went to in Baguio had ancient x-ray equipment. I'm not convinced the equipment there was capable of giving an accurate result. I'm exaggerating a bit about the scene in Malate...its not really that big an area but its definitely more in your face than I realized. I don't even bother to go out alone anymore. Everytime I step out the door by myself, I'm beset by touts selling all sorts of things. So far, the most annoying thing is that there is not a single taxi that will take you anywhere on the meter in that neighborhood. That's a problem in most parts of Manila but you can usually find someone to take you on the meter in a few tries. Not in Malate...we had to pay nearly double the official rate for every ride we've taken so far. Of course, if my wife goes alone she can find one to take her on the meter.On the positive side of things, most everything we need is within walking distance and there isn't a single hill to climb in sight.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Thank you. We were hoping it was a false positive at first, but the subsequent tests confirmed she has TB. I had a negative chest x-ray but will get further tests done at a better hospital in Manila. The clinic I went to in Baguio had ancient x-ray equipment. I'm not convinced the equipment there was capable of giving an accurate result. I'm exaggerating a bit about the scene in Malate...its not really that big an area but its definitely more in your face than I realized. I don't even bother to go out alone anymore. Everytime I step out the door by myself, I'm beset by touts selling all sorts of things. So far, the most annoying thing is that there is not a single taxi that will take you anywhere on the meter in that neighborhood. That's a problem in most parts of Manila but you can usually find someone to take you on the meter in a few tries. Not in Malate...we had to pay nearly double the official rate for every ride we've taken so far. Of course, if my wife goes alone she can find one to take her on the meter.On the positive side of things, most everything we need is within walking distance and there isn't a single hill to climb in sight.
Again I am sorry to hear of your wifes situation but glad to hear your tests were OK and hope that successive tests will be OK and that you both will be on your way soon after her treatment. I also hope you will continue on the forum after you move to the states because you are a wealth of knowledge IMO and a asset to the forum.As for that area, I guess I am naive or it was not that bad back almost 16 years ago when my wife and I walked around that area while processing her papers at the US Embassy. I believe that once they get to know you and that you are not a customer for them then they should leave you alone. The taxi issue should be reported to the LTO on each and everyone of those taxis that refuse to use the meter and maybe something then can be done. I guess they think all tourists are sex tourists so they feel safe taking advantage of all of us. I would not tolerate it and I would go to the LTO and talk to a head person and go to the news as well and tell them how that is ruining the countries image, but that is just me the trouble maker. SugarwareZ-007.gif

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I also hope you will continue on the forum after you move to the states because you are a wealth of knowledge IMO and a asset to the forum.
I second that.

• 2 weeks later...
tom_shor
Posted
Posted
I'm sorry to hear about your wife. At hope for a speedy resolution. My wife had a negative TB test in the US after seeking a job there --- she was devasted. Turns out I was told that many Filipinos fail the test as a result of exposure here. Turns out she did not have it and got the job -- but will always fail these initial tests.
I find it ironic that I'm going to be living in the middle of one of the biggest sex trade areas in all of Asia. you with the bar scene but know quite a bit about the neighborhood in general.
I thought Manila paled by comparison to Thailand and in the Philippines, Angeles City. I did not think or realize it was that large in Manila but when you are in the middle of it I'm sure it seems big. I hope you are able to handle for the period of time required. Again best wishes for a rapid and successful treatment.
Many filipinos have been exposed to tb however having a positive test is a problem common to many people from asia. I was once told it has something to do with the formulation they use to make the test serum. It causes them to react even if they haven't been exposed. I don't know if that is really true or not.