Take It Or Leave It

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

OKnow most here will know that I will be in Cebu for a month arriving on the 5th of March,now I can not decide whether to take my laptop with me or just go to the cafes like the last time I was there.Anyone find it better to leave it at home? is it worth the hassle of carting it around? What about hotel security,will it still be there after a day out?What do you guys who do not live there do?Take it or leave it?????1%20%28235%29.gif

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
OKnow most here will know that I will be in Cebu for a month arriving on the 5th of March,now I can not decide whether to take my laptop with me or just go to the cafes like the last time I was there.Anyone find it better to leave it at home? is it worth the hassle of carting it around? What about hotel security,will it still be there after a day out?What do you guys who do not live there do?Take it or leave it?????1%20%28235%29.gif
I would never leave home without it. The convenience of using in the wealth of wi fi locations including likely in your hotel. My contacts and digital records are there at my convenience and fingertips plus all the additional entertainment options -- listening to music or watching movies or following news and sports via streams or downloads. In my 15 years of travel here, I always brought a laptop and never had a problem with theft in a variety of hotels. I've simply left it in a drawer, closet and other inconspicuous places (when I remembered). Of course I had the obligation of staying in contact for work.For the past 7 months, I've traveled back to the US monthly carrying a laptop -- sometimes 2.I've not traveled since the underwear bomber and suspect that conditions have gotten worse. There were also always challenges with the carry-on weight limits for which is the biggest issue when enforced.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I always take mine with me when I travel away from home. I've never had a problem in any of the hotels. If there is a room safe big enough to accomodate it, I put it there. If there isn't, I lock it up inside my suitcase when I leave the room. I like to bring it with me so I can watch movies or listen to music if I want to. Most of my trips are for embassy business or to visit relatives in Manila. I don't do much sightseeing when I travel in the Philippines, so having tunes and movies available in the hotel is a big plus for me.If you don't have a netbook yet, maybe this is a good excuse to splurge on a new toy. Netbooks are so small and light they are easy to take everywhere with you or hide them more easily.

Matt
Posted
Posted

I agree with Gold Heart and TheMason, that i would always bring mine where ever i went. Mainly because as stated it has all your music, movies and games on it, and with the spread of Wi Fi, and already having all your favourite sites in your favourite folder it is so easy when you are locating a site you usually use for example email accounts, news sites. Plus you can still download movies and music, to watch whilst your away. I left mine in several hotels, sometimes hidden other times, just forgetting to do so, and it always been there when i returned. It is good advice by TheMason to lock it up in your suitcase, just to be on the safe side though.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I too always take mine with me when we travel around the Philippines and I just never let the staff at the hotel know I have it with me by hiding it in my backpack or locking it in our suitcase ahead of checking in and then keeping it out of sight whenever staff visits the room. I guess I go overboard but I have also never had a problem in all these years and will continue to do it that way even when others have said they leave theirs out and never have problems either.BTW, you can always come over to our place and use mine if you need to but I would still bring my own if I were you and you can also use my wifi when at our condo.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
BTW, you can always come over to our place and use mine if you need to but I would still bring my own if I were you and you can also use my wifi when at our condo.
Thanks LeeJust to be sure,you will have the ref stocked with plenty of beer wont you. I don't want to be using your wifi without drinking your beer too you know.SugarwareZ-011.gifAnyway I have to see what it will cost to fix my laptop as it will not boot up,if its not worth fixing then I might not bother getting another one until I win the lotto.3_8_14%5B1%5D.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
BTW, you can always come over to our place and use mine if you need to but I would still bring my own if I were you and you can also use my wifi when at our condo.
Thanks LeeJust to be sure,you will have the ref stocked with plenty of beer wont you. I don't want to be using your wifi without drinking your beer too you know.SugarwareZ-011.gifAnyway I have to see what it will cost to fix my laptop as it will not boot up,if its not worth fixing then I might not bother getting another one until I win the lotto.3_8_14%5B1%5D.gif
Absolutely Tom, that is one of the first things I do when we get there is to buy a case of beer and fill the whole bottom shelf because people always seem to drop in for some and one day we had a whole house full and I almost ran out. Hope you can get your laptop working but if not then the Internet caf

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Haha... you got the beer setup wrong Mr Lee.. My mother inlaw realised that I had a habit if drinking to go out at 2-3am to get some more from anywhere I can find open. Last time involved a robbery and someone nobody has seen for a year but thats another story. So what does my mother inlaw do? She stocks her fridge and sells me beer for P1 tariff ;-) everyone is happy and when we have friends round same as my father inlaw its paid for by whoever puts money in the kitty and for what reason they are there.. As regards the laptop depends what you use it for. I bought an itouch earlier on in the year and carry that when im out. I dont bother with a cellphone as places like SM Mall have free Wifi and you can sit and message everyone and get your emails while having a coffee. Same at home I can sit in bed and message everyone without having to sit at my desk or getting a stiff neck.