Protect Your Passwords From Key Stroke Programs

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

How to protect your passwords and sign in names from key stroke programsGet a cheap USB thumb drive and then type partial sign in words and numbers and partial passwords into a program such as Notepad and then copy that document to your thumb drive. Then be sure to delete the original documents from your documents and then also from your recycle bin and then when you need a password, plug in the thumb drive, click on my computer and then click on the thumb drive and it will bring up the document that is on it. Click on the document and then copy and paste the sign in names or words and copy and paste your passwords from it, and which should also be minus a few letters or numbers so you can type in a couple or a few of letters or numbers in case someone gets access to your thumb drive they would also not have the whole sign in word or the whole password.This way no one can use a key stroke program because you would not type the whole sign in name or the whole password, so they might only get a couple of letters or numbers which would do them no good at all.

softail
Posted
Posted

That is great advice. Seems that someone is always trying to get over on us. Think I will give it a try, also help me remember all these crazy passwords that we need nowdays. I thought technology was supposed to make our life simpler , instead it has created a whole new set of problems to keep track of.Doug and Sally

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
That is great advice. Seems that someone is always trying to get over on us. Think I will give it a try, also help me remember all these crazy passwords that we need nowdays. I thought technology was supposed to make our life simpler , instead it has created a whole new set of problems to keep track of.Doug and Sally
That is why I always try to make life easier for members whenever I find an easy way to do things. One thing we always have to worry about and especially in the Philippines, is someone stealing our passwords and sign in info, so this way makes life easier and you could actually have all your passwords with code words on the thumb drive, such as HMC for HSBC master card etc and as long as you know what the shortcut mean, then you are all set.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Here is another way to beat key loggers, by using an on screen keyboard and clicking on the letters on the screen.Click on Start -> Go to All Programs -> Click on Accessories -> Select Accessibility or search for Accessibility or on-line keyboard in the search box ->Click on On-Screen KeyboardExecuting the above steps opens a keyboard on your screen so that you can click whatever letter you would like to type. Since a keylogger does not track where and what you click, this helps you to get around it in times of urgency.BTW, this would be good to use at Internet Caf

post-40-12635840884253_thumb.png

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Here is another way to beat key loggers, by using an on screen keyboard and clicking on the letters on the screen.Click on Start -> Go to All Programs -> Click on Accessories -> Select Accessibility or search for Accessibility in the search box ->Click on On-Screen KeyboardExecuting the above steps opens a keyboard on your screen so that you can click whatever letter you would like to type. Since a keylogger does not track where and what you click, this helps you to get around it in times of urgency.
I think these solutions provide some protection. As long as you are in an internet cafe, or a public computer you are exposed. Screen keyboards expose you to peepers (like ATM machines) Others have suggested putting your own secure firefox browser on the thumb drive and using it.Also using favorites stored there so you are not typing in web addresses which can be intercepted Also clicking out of the password box and typing randam characters between password entries as many of these programs can't distinquish where data is being typed.Everything is vulnerable today because there are so many smart people working to defeat security solutions but the best protections are to have everything under your control, computer and network ( i.e. private/ personal) with the latest network and laptop security software along with updated versions of internet connected programs. One reason to bring laptop. I think you are better in a public wi-fi hotspot with your own laptop appropriately configured with no sharing, a personal firewall, and an implementation of a VPN to encrypt all internet traffic. Always ensure data is transmitted encrypted by VPN or encrypted webb sites.