Expat Food

tim_and_vya
Posted
Posted

hey guys i was just wondering if there was any food stuffs that anyone missed from the uk, you know like brown sauce, marmite etc, this has probably been discussed before but i thought i would ask anywaycheeers tim

retired
Posted
Posted
hey guys i was just wondering if there was any food stuffs that anyone missed from the uk, you know like brown sauce, marmite etc, this has probably been discussed before but i thought i would ask anywaycheeers tim
Being from the states i can't answer about British food stuffs but i have often thought the Philippines needs a domestic "balik-bayan" program of some sort . :-) In the seven years i have lived in/near Cagayan De oro i have never seen a single jar of dill pickles in a store here . And even finding a jar of Frenc'h mustard ( common state side brand ) becomes a major event .Yet , i know some of these items are availiable in Cebu and Davao but many more available in the Manila area . Once visited a grocery in Alabang , somewhere near Manila , and couldn't figure why they has two groceries adjoing one another of the same name . Turns out was was for the typical Filipino shopper and one was full of imported goods . Outside of Clarke free duty zone in Angeles City i had never seen so many American products .Just using American products as an example as could be British or Aussie or whatever . I don't know anyone in Alabang or Angeles that i could dial up or e-mail and ask to have some items shipped but maybe someone else does . Ok , Lee and Matt and whoever else out there has an entrepreneirial spirit , maybe you can come up with something . :-)

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
I sent 6 boxes before I left the UK with :- Brown Sauce, "Fruitie" sauce, frey bentos pies, Curry powders + herbs (Tesco sell large packs similar to wholesale) and 101 other things enough for a year. If there was more interest I would ship the stuff in and people can pre-order goods via Tesco/ASDA online.