Mother Of All Philipines Festivals - Sinulog - 2010

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted

I had been here this time of year twice before and seen the specticle from many angles. This year presents a new one as I'm a resident with new options and new opportunties. Sinulog 30 - 2010.Sinulog is one of the most amazing spectacles I've witnessed and I've been lucky to see some amazing sights in my life. If you are here, I hope you don't miss tomorrow. Unfortunately, the weather has been the worst since my arrival in July and the forecast is for rain tomorrow. The performances have a unique combination of influences reflecting the Filipino culture with costumes full of color reflecting the influences of tribal hertitage, Spain, China, and the West and of course the Christian basis around Santo Nino.The top Filipino entertainers pass through Cebu this week and all appeared at the Waterfront. My wife and I went to see Lea Salonga last Sunday and last night Regine Valasquez. Great performances from magnificent artists (no one sings a broadway ballad like Lea, and no one has a voice like Regine) at affordable prices compared to seeing concerts in the US.They had 5 of the top troups perform at the Cebu International School today and they were fantastic. In previous years I've watched the parade from the streets but tomorrow, I've got tickets in the stadium to see performances on stage. If you are in Cebu tomorrow -- I hope you plan to see and enjoy. If you ever get a chance to come, this is a great although most busyand difficult time to visit. The streets and hotels are full. You guys coming next month will miss this great event.Pit Senyor!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I would love to see it but, as you said, the hotels are full and I've heard they jack up the prices on everything during the festival so I avoid it. Someday...

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

My only advice which is already too late, would be to make sure to leave all you things home and have your pockets empty. The pickpockets are out in large numbers during these festivals and one of my neighbors has lost a cell phone every year he has gone out and watched the Sinulog and it seems he has not learned since he told me he has lost 3 so far and I guess that would mean this year might make 4 for him. :wt-hell: I guess we round eyes must stand out enough to attract the pickpockets or my neighbor just likes donating phones. I have never had the pleasure to have been to one and I hope we can be in Cebu next year at this time to see one first hand. Hope you all that are there get to enjoy the festival and hope the weather will be good so it does not interfere at all. :yes:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
My only advice which is already too late, would be to make sure to leave all you things home and have your pockets empty. The pickpockets are out in large numbers during these festivals and one of my neighbors has lost a cell phone every year he has gone out and watched the Sinulog and it seems he has not learned since he told me he has lost 3 so far and I guess that would mean this year might make 4 for him. :wt-hell: I guess we round eyes must stand out enough to attract the pickpockets or my neighbor just likes donating phones. I have never had the pleasure to have been to one and I hope we can be in Cebu next year at this time to see one first hand. Hope you all that are there get to enjoy the festival and hope the weather will be good so it does not interfere at all. :yes:
I was in Cebu 2 years ago at the time of Sinulog but never got to see anything other than what was shown on TV, very nice but a bit repetitive. As for your neighbor Lee,what can I say,,,,,,,,,, hope he only lost his virginity once. :yes: