Us Crime Rates Rise In Mid-Recession

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

There are many unexpected consequences of the recession but in one story of a illegal Filipina stealing from her employee, could it be the drive to send more and more money home that made her do it? I think that is a likely cause, the unfair family pressure for Filipinos to send money home. There are so many sad stories but staying illegally and leaving her two children back in the Philippines and then stealing to send money home shows me that once they break the immigration laws, then they are probably on their way to a life of crime. "I discovered after talking to Nancy that she was taken into custody by federal authorities for falsification of documents and grand larceny. She apparently robbed her employer. She had issued checks in the employer

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ah yes, another Filipino journalist who doesn't know what the heck she is talking about. The most recent crime statistics actually show a DECREASE in the US crime rate during the recession. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/21/us-crime-rate-falling-des_n_399927.htmlI'm not really sure what the point of the entire story is though. She makes it sound like 'Nancy' just now decided to turn to crime, completely overlooking the fact that she was a criminal from the day she started working on a tourist visa and overstayed her visa.I wonder why Filipinos don't preach the 'your just a visitor' bullsh&t they feed to foreigners here to the OFWs that go overseas

Edited by TheMason

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Ah yes, another Filipino journalist who doesn't know what the heck she is talking about. The most recent crime statistics actually show a DECREASE in the US crime rate during the recession. http://www.huffingto...s_n_399927.htmlI'm not really sure what the point of the entire story is though. She makes it sound like 'Nancy' just now decided to turn to crime, completely overlooking the fact that she was a criminal from the day she started working on a tourist visa and overstayed her visa.I wonder why Filipinos don't preach the 'your just a visitor' bullshit they feed to foreigners here to the OFWs that go overseas
To me it read that Nancy thought,just deport me and all is solved. She is wrong.This is why getting a tourist visa is so hard but another question comes up about the employers,do they know they employ illegal labor and adjust the pay rates to exploit the worker?

TheMason
Posted
Posted
To me it read that Nancy thought,just deport me and all is solved. She is wrong.This is why getting a tourist visa is so hard but another question comes up about the employers,do they know they employ illegal labor and adjust the pay rates to exploit the worker?
Some pay lower wages...some don't. I used to manage a fast food restaurant years ago and I tended to turn a blind eye to the legal status of the people I hired. If they could produce ID that looked half-way real, I would hire them. I hired one gal under 4 different names over the course of 8 years. She would get caught, deported, and come back and get new fake ID. She was the best employee I ever had. I paid illegals the same amount as legal workers. Minimum wage back them was about $4-$5 per hour. At that time, the economy in the US was good and legal workers didn't want to flip burgers for minimum wage. If it weren't for the illegals, I'd have been chronically understaffed or hemorrhaging money to pay for documented workers. Some people will pay them either below the minimum wage or significantly less than they pay legal workers. I don't really consider that exploitation of the worker though. They are always free to go back to their home country or obtain legal status....the choice is theirs.Just about the time I left that business (1990 or so), the US Immigration department was requiring tougher paperwork checks to hire people and were fining the hiring manager, not the business owner, for any illegal aliens that were working there. They handed out flyers that showed what real ID looked like so you could at least try to authenticate the ID people showed you.