Travel Insurance

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Out of curiosity,I was wondering if those who travel to and from the Philippines take out travel insurance?Two quotes I have for comprehensive insurance are $122 and $141 Australian dollars,this is for cover 29 to 34 days.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Out of curiosity,I was wondering if those who travel to and from the Philippines take out travel insurance?Two quotes I have for comprehensive insurance are $122 and $141 Australian dollars,this is for cover 29 to 34 days.
I never do because I have found that the thing to do is ask how much the airline charges to change ticket dates and that is usually around the same price, but if you have a job which would make it impossible to travel again for a long period of time, or if your airlines will charge you a much larger fee than travel insurance is a very good idea.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I never do because I have found that the thing to do is ask how much the airline charges to change ticket dates and that is usually around the same price, but if you have a job which would make it impossible to travel again for a long period of time, or if your airlines will charge you a much larger fee than travel insurance is a very good idea.
Travel insurance covers much more than your flight problems, there's hospital and medical cover, death cover,public liability,theft of your things.etcpost-1-12642500271604_thumb.jpg

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Travel insurance covers much more than your flight problems, there's hospital and medical cover, death cover,public liability,theft of your things.etcpost-1-12642500271604_thumb.jpg
I have most of that covered. My Blue Cross is good in Manila hospital and they will reimburse me if used in another hospital for emergencies. My credit cards cover loss but so do the airlines and we do not carry anything valuable in our suitcases anyway, my death, oh well I am no going to worry about that as my rather large policy already expired but my wife will be OK but not rich, so I just go without but that coverage sounds like it would be good for you and many others that may not have some of the things I have which is already covered and maybe I even should have it but I am too cheap and would rather spend our money on other things and hope for the best.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Travel insurance covers much more than your flight problems, there's hospital and medical cover, death cover,public liability,theft of your things.etc
Keep in mind that the cost of these things in the Philippines are very very low. This policy is without question of great value if you were traveling to the US or Europe. Insurance as an analysis of risk, probablity, and economics you have to weigh these factors. On the economic side, as I study options for health insurance here, most outpatient services are so cheap that you would have a hard time spending $141 on a problem. If you have to for some reason have to have an operation or hospital care, some can be deferred -- the most expensive ones probably can -- and many prefer to have that done back in their home country. If required the costs here are still not very high. I've never got insurance or thought about it when traveling for reasons above.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Travel insurance covers much more than your flight problems, there's hospital and medical cover, death cover,public liability,theft of your things.etc
Keep in mind that the cost of these things in the Philippines are very very low. This policy is without question of great value if you were traveling to the US or Europe. Insurance as an analysis of risk, probablity, and economics you have to weigh these factors. On the economic side, as I study options for health insurance here, most outpatient services are so cheap that you would have a hard time spending $141 on a problem. If you have to for some reason have to have an operation or hospital care, some can be deferred -- the most expensive ones probably can -- and many prefer to have that done back in their home country. If required the costs here are still not very high. I've never got insurance or thought about it when traveling for reasons above.
I think there are other things to think about, the what if say I had to be transferred to an Australian hospital because of something major,without insurance that could be something like 80.000 dollars.I have read about the cost.Now we all seem to just think of little things like a sprained ankle but if I got run over by a jeepney then I don't think the cost would be just 141 dollars.If I died,it would cost thousands to bring my body back to Australia.I think for a small payment of 141 and all the cover it provides is money well spent.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
I think for a small payment of 141 and all the cover it provides is money well spent.
What I did not know is what you already have in terms of medical coverage and life insurance and what risks you might take. It is part of the evaluation of risk, probablity and economics. If you don't have coverages to start with or they are limited, it is money well spent. It may be worth it, especially for your peace of mind. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the low cost. My son was hospitalized for 2 weeks during a trip here a few years ago -- in a private room. He did not undergo surgery. I don't think I spent $200. Now how effective will this policy be in actually delivering what you need in time / quickly here may be something to ask in advance -- again for your peace of mind.

Matt
Posted
Posted

I took out backpackers travel insurance, which covers me for most things, medical, theft ect for 14 months at a time. I do have to have an address in the UK, but the policy will cover me for 14 months irraspective if i go back to the UK or not. The cost was

MikeB
Posted
Posted
But for example my good friend here was admitted last month to our local hospital for 2 days in a private room. He was on a drip and was given 3 times a day an injection of strong antibiotics. His bill came to $335.
Now that is amazing.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just a couple of example of what could go wrong when traveling overseas. Now in my case if this was me I would be in trouble.Alex Gibson was traveling in Thailand with his wife, when he injured himself, slipping down some stairs. Alex was taken to the emergency department of the local hospital, where he was assessed and then discharged to continue his holiday. However, the following day Alex