Craptv

TheMason
Posted
Posted

When I watch TV, I generally watch financial, local or world news or sporting events. If I'm not watching any of those things, I'll find a movie. My wife on the other hand watches some of the most inane crap I've ever seen in my life. As I write this, she is watching Girls of the Playboy Mansion (she just commented to me, "Oh my, they have such big boobies." If I had made that comment she'd have taken it as an indictment of her breast size). She loves Pinoy Big Brother and considers TMZ and the chikka shows to be news. On the positive side, she thinks Wowowee is stupid, so I'm spared that agony on a daily basis. Thank God for small miracles.Is this typical for Filipinas or women in general? I've never really had a relationship with a TV watcher so I'm kind of out of touch with what is popular these days.

Mik
Posted
Posted

.post-184-12644980944537_thumb.jpg.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
When I watch TV, I generally watch financial, local or world news or sporting events. If I'm not watching any of those things, I'll find a movie. My wife on the other hand watches some of the most inane crap I've ever seen in my life. As I write this, she is watching Girls of the Playboy Mansion (she just commented to me, "Oh my, they have such big boobies." If I had made that comment she'd have taken it as an indictment of her breast size). She loves Pinoy Big Brother and considers TMZ and the chikka shows to be news. On the positive side, she thinks Wowowee is stupid, so I'm spared that agony on a daily basis. Thank God for small miracles.Is this typical for Filipinas or women in general? I've never really had a relationship with a TV watcher so I'm kind of out of touch with what is popular these days.
I think that many Filipinas who worked and maybe who grew up poor, never got much of a chance to watch TV so they are often fascinated by the TV and making up for lost time, my wife can watch TV for many hours a day but she can also live without it. When we are in Cebu and home, she watches quite a few soap operas in Tagalog and I am totally lost because I learned mostly Cebuano. I guess I just cannot win. :SugarwareZ-034: Ah the fun of marrying a Filipina, but the good things surely make up for the few bad, I know they do in my marriage. SugarwareZ-005.gif Just wait until you get to the states, then your wife is going to learn so much from the TV and you will have to help her separate the real from the BS. If what goes on in the Philippines bothers you, you ain't seen nothing yet my friend. SugarwareZ-004.gif

Singers
Posted
Posted

I agree. The inane garbage they watch IS fascinating to them.Our Bishop in Ireland visited our home because we had TV and Pronounced IT IS "The curse in the corner".!! A modern day Bishop will advocate this powerful medium (TV).Now in PI the ??? do not want the populace "World Wise" so TV feeds Garbage.... X factor Etc.Tom

Mik
Posted
Posted

No matter what country, TV is garbage. It's also used to transform corporate government lies into the false reality that most people willingly accept. Stop watching television "programming" if you value your ability to think independently..

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I think that many Filipinas who worked and maybe who grew up poor, never got much of a chance to watch TV so they are often fascinated by the TV and making up for lost time, my wife can watch TV for many hours a day but she can also live without it. When we are in Cebu and home, she watches quite a few soap operas in Tagalog and I am totally lost because I learned mostly Cebuano. I guess I just cannot win. :SugarwareZ-034: Ah the fun of marrying a Filipina, but the good things surely make up for the few bad, I know they do in my marriage. SugarwareZ-005.gif Just wait until you get to the states, then your wife is going to learn so much from the TV and you will have to help her separate the real from the BS. If what goes on in the Philippines bothers you, you ain't seen nothing yet my friend. SugarwareZ-004.gif
I think I'm going to get off easy when we go back to the US. All I'll have to do is show her that cable TV costs about 4k pesos a month and she won't want to get it. Its a win-win situation. I won't have to watch silly shows and when there is a big game on, its a ready-made excuse to hit the bar to see the game. I think her innate stinginess will win out over her desire to see reality TV.Sometimes I wish she was more of a gossip so she could satisfy her drama fix from the neighbors like normal Filipinas do, but exploring that option is probably best left for a different thread

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
I think it is quite common -- Not unique to here or our Filipina companions. These shows get a following in the US as well. Reality shows are all the rage. There was a finding recently that young people in the US get their news from the daily show. My wife watches some of the same type stuff so I find another TV and watch sports or news shows too. She was amazed with the US TV commercials as they are far more entertaining in the US than here. We do watch American Idol together as we also did in the US. Now I have to differ on Wowowee, I don't know 1/10th of whats being said, but I could watch those dancers for hours. LOL!I have a bigger problem with the Tagalog soaps including local soaps which play in cabs in the afternoon. There is far too much heavy emotional drama --- wimpering, whinning and crying (I have no idea what they are saying but each and every time I hear it someone is in some life and death trauma). I am afraid this leads many to believe this is normal. I for one don't need this kind of drama accepted as normal in my life. When my wife goes over the top on what I consider to be an insignifcant trivial issue I think she is reenacting something from the soaps. I'm tempted to just hand her an Ocscar. I have branched out from news and sports since being here as I'm able to pick up entire seasons of certain TV series. I never watched them in the US but I enjoy watching many as time permits when here -- 30 rock, How I met your mother, Lie to me, etc.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Dont have a problem with the soaps simply because I go find something else to do rather than watch them. I do have an issue with Showtime though is it just me or is it people all doing very similar dances every day ? I just dont get the show.. Theme tune is ok though ;-) Wowowee seems to have bombed in our house it used to be the favourite watched every day but noticed April turns it over now. I have given up watching the TV completely but that isnt difficult as I stopped watching a few years ago. Although it is hard to switch off from it when its on since some of the shows are so crap you think why am I even listening to this rubbish.