Staring

Steve
Posted
Posted

The one thing I noticed is that some Filipinos will just stare at you. I will typically just avoid eye contact at that point. How do the rest of you handle this? :thumbs-up-smile:

TheMason
Posted
Posted
The one thing I noticed is that some Filipinos will just stare at you. I will typically just avoid eye contact at that point. How do the rest of you handle this? :thumbs-up-smile:
I smile and wave at them. That almost always makes them stop.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I smile and wave at them. That almost always makes them stop.
You big bully SugarwareZ-011.gif

Singers
Posted
Posted
With Kids/Teens I smile and say Hi.Older men, in the City, I wonder if they are "checking me as a target for theft"?? and I ignore them and look away!and keep a wary eye.In the BRGY I always smile Old or Young. They will know who I am even if I have never met them.Tom

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
The one thing I noticed is that some Filipinos will just stare at you. I will typically just avoid eye contact at that point. How do the rest of you handle this? no.gif
I normally just smile and keep on walking. Unless they are trying to sell me something I don't want then I'll try to avoid eye contact.

mayen0515
Posted
Posted

Hey, it is not only Filipinos who stare!!!:thumbs-up-smile: I have had foreigners stare at me too and up to now I still can't figure out why: 1. )It could be that they know me from the Bank that I work with but I cannot be sure because I really have poor memory with faces, or 2.) it could be that they are eyeing me to be their next wife, but I just laugh at the notion, hahaha, or 3.) I have something on my face, which could be 60% true, because I'm forever getting ballpen/pentel pen marks on my face without even noticing it, or 4.) we were acquiantances in a past life, or 5.) I look suspicious to them...:)It's safer to assume no. 1 though, so I just smile, they either stop staring or ask me if I remember them, or run the opposite direction...:)But generally, people stare at something or someone because they are a novelty. Foreigners clearly stand out so they mostly get stared at...:)Live with it!!!:lol:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Hey, it is not only Filipinos who stare!!!:lol: I have had foreigners stare at me too and up to now I still can't figure out why: 1. )It could be that they know me from the Bank that I work with but I cannot be sure because I really have poor memory with faces, or 2.) it could be that they are eyeing me to be their next wife, but I just laugh at the notion, hahaha, or 3.) I have something on my face, which could be 60% true, because I'm forever getting ballpen/pentel pen marks on my face without even noticing it, or 4.) we were acquiantances in a past life, or 5.) I look suspicious to them...:)It's safer to assume no. 1 though, so I just smile, they either stop staring or ask me if I remember them, or run the opposite direction...:)But generally, people stare at something or someone because they are a novelty. Foreigners clearly stand out so they mostly get stared at...:)Live with it!!!:)
I was walking with the wife around the main city area of Davao and was stared at a lot,mainly by older men,not sure if it was my big frame that they were looking at and thinking of how many steaks they could make out me.Anyway in your case I think its number 2 :thumbs-up-smile:

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
The one thing I noticed is that some Filipinos will just stare at you. I will typically just avoid eye contact at that point. How do the rest of you handle this? :no:
Hello Steve,Yep, I noticed that too but being Filipino, I could afford to take a more overt reaction by removing my sun glasses and stare them right back.  Most of the time, I feel like they're staring at my wife like she was naked or something.  Some of these "tan-byes" (stand by) are under the influence of drugs (shabu) and makes them either "pra-ning"(paranoid) or "mun-yak" (sexual maniacs) or both. Have fun but always be observant of your surroundings.  Respectfully -- Joaquin Edited by Jake

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
The one thing I noticed is that some Filipinos will just stare at you. I will typically just avoid eye contact at that point. How do the rest of you handle this? :(
Of course this happens to all of us white guys and as Mayen said it is because we are different and I wonder if it also happens to the black guys or gals?(I hope that is the correct term as I have grown up in times where the term has changed so many times that I am now confused and I sure do not wish to insult anyone by using the word black) I also agree with Boss Man that many men will be looking at Mayen because she is a pretty girl and thinking about making her their wife, I know I would if I was not already happily married. :yes:I guess it should be noted that I find that this happens much less in places such as Cebu and Makati where foreigners are plentiful and while out in the provinces it is because they may rarely see one of us and we are often an object of curiosity. Also this is happening less and less over time as more foreigners visit and live in the Philippines because the first time I visited it was really annoying to me because it happened with almost everyone who I passed by. Now depending on whether it is a man or a woman, then I will do different things. When it is a man then I always smile back but at times I am concerned that a male might take the smile wrong, so I also say good morning or good whatever and I will often do it in their own language and that will depend on which depending on whether we are in the Visayas or Northern Philippines. I have most often had the men say the same back to me and smile and occasionally they turn away and probably because they are shy or they just do not like us or have had bad encounters with some of us so therefore think poorly of many of us because of how some treat Filipinos poorly, and I feel it is my job to be sort of an ambassador of good will and I hope that those of you who do not treat Filipinois poorly will do the same to promote good will to make up for those who treat Filipinos poorly, and those of you who do treat Filipinos poorly, I hope you go home or stay home because there is no reason to do that in a host country IMO.Now as for the women, I smile and raise my eyebrows the way many Filipinos do to mean yes and most will smile back and do the same and as I am with my wife most of the time, they usually do not approach me but some have even tried to pick me up when my wife was with me and I find that very strange but maybe they were working girls, not sure. And then when I have been alone, quite a few either approached me and tried to pick me up or start a conversation because many seem to take that as flirting with them, so I always try to also say good morning, or whatever would be appropriate and say it in English and not in their language so they do not think I am trying to pick them up. It is all very confusing to me at times but I feel a smile and being friendly is the key to better relationships with the people of the Philippines because IMO those of us that are not trying to play with their ladies as toys, need to try to make up for the many who do. Oh, and one more thing, never do the eyebrow lift in a girly bar to the women unless it it your intention to have them all swarm you, best to just look away when they do it to you or they smile at you, again, unless you wish them to come over to you.