Anyone Else Here Cook Their Own Pigs

broden
Posted
Posted

if you do share some pics or recepies or anything at all .. i know some people flatten theit pigs between to chainlink fences to cook just turning it over on occasion .. in the past we've cooked them underground .. but i still like the filipino way bestnot being in the Philippines now .. we don't have the luxury of buy lechon baboy made by a years long experienced pro .. and grown more fatty with that type of cooking in mind ... but we make due with what we can get here from a restaurant supply butcher .. and what my wife already knows and what i learn with each time we make 1 we usually make one for my kids birthday and all the filipinas for many miles around make sure not to miss that day .. they especially love it .. but so do all the other locals here that come out of the wood work .. in the past i've cooked them for 12 hours or so ... gonna go for 16 to 18 hours on the next one .. and we've been slowly buying cans of coconut milk here and there so we expect to have 50 to 100 cans by the time the day rolls around .. cause i want to try brusing it on the pig the entire time it cooks my wife is in charge of whatever gets put in the pig (i forget everything she puts in the mix.. gonna have to ask her when she wakes up later).. though i told her i wanted to try putting some dried pineapple in her mix this time .. and she injects it too .. just like when you buy the fried turkey marinade kits if you've ever done that (we love those too) then when i deal with getting the pig done she cooks like a whirlwind all night long anyway here's some pics from the last 2 times i've made pigs .. for the last one i learned finally to move from butchers string to bailing wire ... when we get the pigs they are already gutted out clean and they weigh at or a touch over 70 pounds on occasion a couple pounds less ... the leftovers always seem to weigh 0 exactly :thumbsup: oh and if anyone is wondering .. i start with about 20 pounds of charcoal then i go through 5 to 12 pounds an hour depending on the tempature as alot of the cooking is during the night in the cooler air .. i use to large charcoal chimneys to keep new coals ready to go .. i never put cold coals on .. always already very well burned ones .. just doing the best i can to keep the heat as steady as possible next time i'll get pictues of the working end up the pig spinner ( as i like to call it) nice little 4 rpm electric motorhere goes :13_4_10[1]: med_gallery_204_6_2105118.jpgmed_gallery_204_6_838151.jpgmed_gallery_204_6_1371554.jpgmed_gallery_204_6_2004251.jpgat this one we had a second table of food that i never got a picture of cause all the filipinas attacked it before i ever got the chance :thumbsup: med_gallery_204_6_1260046.jpg

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

OH!!!!! Now you gone and done it......Now I gotta go buy me a pig......those are some really nice pics....Since we smoke a lot of meat, I have a large smoker made from 3/8" steel pipe, 4 feet long with 2 door in it. But because of the way it is made, would be difficult to get a pig in there, other than maybe a 25lb one. I have a 200gal propane tank that I was gonna make into a smoker for whole pigs...just havn't gotten around to it. I do like your little set up though, I could throw something like that together real quick..Have done a couple in open pit in the PI, but that was many years ago. Like you, I don't know what all the wife stuffed into that thing, don't remember,but it was gooooooodd.Jim

James
Posted
Posted

the experience I have had is all based on how my wifes family cooks the pigs. We buy them fresh and still running around of course. Then a neighbour who for some reason is referred to as "pig man" arrives and as a whole family they set around the task of cooking the porker. It is killed, the blood collected as is the offal and cooking starts on the other dishes right away, they make some heavenly dish that we eat late into the night with red wine and local hooch as well. Then the pig is washed, shaved and the insides stuffed with a variety of vegetables prepared by the ladies of the family, the whole thing then stiched back together and coated in soy sauce and the white vinegar, the skin receives several of these layers, and it is then left for a while to soak in. The fire is now burned down to embers and the charcoal is starting to glow nice, the pig is hoisted on its wooden pole and the long process starts of cooking, it seems to take around five hours and for an evening funstion the family meets up around two in the afternnon and we eat around seven, but whilst the pig is doing the fish and other meats are also prepared. I love the taste of the skin when crispy and also the meat, we give the head of the pig to the "pig man" for his service and most of the family and neighbours turn out to eat with us in the street, its a great social event as well as the best tasting pork I have ever had.James

broden
Posted
Posted
OH!!!!! Now you gone and done it......Now I gotta go buy me a pig......those are some really nice pics....Since we smoke a lot of meat, I have a large smoker made from 3/8" steel pipe, 4 feet long with 2 door in it. But because of the way it is made, would be difficult to get a pig in there, other than maybe a 25lb one. I have a 200gal propane tank that I was gonna make into a smoker for whole pigs...just havn't gotten around to it. I do like your little set up though, I could throw something like that together real quick..Have done a couple in open pit in the PI, but that was many years ago. Like you, I don't know what all the wife stuffed into that thing, don't remember,but it was gooooooodd.Jim
i know if i had a big propane tank like that sitting around i'd be thinking of doing the same thing .. that's a great idea .. and a whole pig cooked that way would have to be good ..one thing i remember that my wife uses in the marinade/stuffing/whateveryouwannacallit :lol: is sprite .. my nonfilipino friends get a kick out of that .. i always tell them it's an ancient filipino secret ingredient

broden
Posted
Posted
the experience I have had is all based on how my wifes family cooks the pigs. We buy them fresh and still running around of course. Then a neighbour who for some reason is referred to as "pig man" arrives and as a whole family they set around the task of cooking the porker. It is killed, the blood collected as is the offal and cooking starts on the other dishes right away, they make some heavenly dish that we eat late into the night with red wine and local hooch as well. Then the pig is washed, shaved and the insides stuffed with a variety of vegetables prepared by the ladies of the family, the whole thing then stiched back together and coated in soy sauce and the white vinegar, the skin receives several of these layers, and it is then left for a while to soak in. The fire is now burned down to embers and the charcoal is starting to glow nice, the pig is hoisted on its wooden pole and the long process starts of cooking, it seems to take around five hours and for an evening funstion the family meets up around two in the afternnon and we eat around seven, but whilst the pig is doing the fish and other meats are also prepared. I love the taste of the skin when crispy and also the meat, we give the head of the pig to the "pig man" for his service and most of the family and neighbours turn out to eat with us in the street, its a great social event as well as the best tasting pork I have ever had.James
the crisp skin is the best ... but i like when my wife takes some and makes paksiw with it too we gave the head of the last pig i cooked away to a neighbor who's originally from Samoa .. he know's what good food is .. his wife is american and she didn't seem to happy with this head going to their house but he as smiling ear to ear ... i wasn't though the heads got some of the best parts ... but he's a good guy and all but begged .. been years since he saw a whole pig cookedbut yeah you cook a pig and it can't help but become a neighborhood event it seems... during the cooking and of course after .. but i get a little peace and quiet by doing a good bit of the cooking overnight when everyone else is sleeping and resting up for the great chow down to comein the past i've gotten fresh pigs.. but they are more difficult to get ... but yeah like they say .. you use everything on the pig but the oinki remember one we got once after we gutted it got it all ready to go my wife actualy used one of my old razors to get the hair off of it :lol: .. i should of called the razor company to see if they wated to use that in their commercials ... smooth as a piggy's bottomworst part of all this is now i want one right now ..but i have to wait till may when my kid has his birthday :(

AngelofBroden
Posted
Posted

Here's what I put in the pig:Chopped up or cut up scallions (green onions), lots of them, lots of garlic, lots of onions, salt, a little sugar, a little msg, peppercorns, bay leaves, and liquid smoke; mix them all together in about a liter of Sprite ( 7-Up is okay too). I would let it sit for hours before stuffing it inside the pig. I inject the pig with the extra juice from the mixture. I rub the outside with soy sauce and oil.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
i remember one we got once after we gutted it got it all ready to go my wife actualy used one of my old razors to get the hair off of it :lol: .. i should of called the razor company to see if they wanted to use that in their commercials ... smooth as a piggy's bottomworst part of all this is now i want one right now ..but i have to wait till may when my kid has his birthday :(
NahNo need to wait till anyones birthday, you can shave your bum anytime SugarwareZ-011.gif Sorry 2245_safe.gif

broden
Posted
Posted
NahNo need to wait till anyones birthday, you can shave your bum anytime SugarwareZ-011.gifSorry 2245_safe.gif
:lol: i don't have a mirror that big :( not to mention unbreakable