Cars Made In The Usa

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I can relate numerous stories to you all about the problems I have had with American made cars during my lifetime but it would fill volumes of pages and it would probably bore you all to death, so what I am going to say is that the US automakers brought all their failures upon themselves by making an inferior product and by not giving customer service and I will just tell you one story which shows what I mean. Years ago when gold and silver went crazy I made a good killing because I was a coin collector back then, so with the spoils I bought two new Cadillacs, one for myself and one for my parents and both needed new paint jobs within weeks of getting them, while a Pontiac that I bought for my then wife to drive had a perfect paint job but would not run and stalled all the time. So I called GM after the dealers refused to take care of the problems and told them what was going on and they refused to admit that there was something wrong with the design of the engine of the Pontiac (years later it came out that they knew right from the start)and told me that they would paint both Cadillacs and I told them I did not wish to own two new cars that were repainted and if I wanted a repainted car that I would have bought a used one, they just said sorry and that is the way it is and the Pontiac I finally got the dealer to take back in trade for what I paid for it because of friends I had in high place back then. I then did not buy a new GM car for 7 years and made the mistake of buying another and it was also a lemon and the same basic thing happened when I call GM to report an a/c that shut off when in traffic and they said they designed it that way so it would not overheat, too weird because it was OK for the owner to cook inside the car but they would not fix a poor design instead. You see there is this buy American that they keep trying to hammer into Americans heads but they made junk and did not stand behind them, so people left in droves to buy foreign cars that not only worked perfectly most times but the dealers also tried to satisfy their customers and on top of that the paint jobs were always perfect on the ones I bought and most never even required anything but normal servicing.So what does all this mean, now almost all new American cars are made in foreign countries and many of the foreign cars are made in the US, so buying American can sometimes be a very confusing thing to do in the US and it often means buying foreign cars that are made in America but with foreign standards, so the quality is much better than American cars made in Mexico or wherever. Life has become sooooooooo confusing at times. :lol:Anyone else wish to comment on their experiences? I also wonder if others find the same thing in their home countries cars?

Bundok
Posted
Posted

Lost faith in Detroit/American cars year ago.I've had good experiences w/Jap & German models.My next purchase (w/in 12 months) will probably be a German diesel.

Singers
Posted
Posted
Lost faith in Detroit/American cars year ago.I've had good experiences w/Jap & German models.My next purchase (w/in 12 months) will probably be a German diesel.
Never owned an American car. My first British car liked to spend a day or 2 days back at the dealers repair shop every month.2nd. third and 4th liked the same Monthly break and always returned to me with a "greasy" steering wheel. in the 1970's.Then I had 3 Fiat "fast and furious" but rain, or a damp night outside, sent them to bed and they got annoyed and shed bits or broke bits when petulant.Drive shaft's - were flavoured.Then SAAB brilliant drivers car but liked short breaks at the repair shop. Contained lots of British parts. At that time I felt non PC to Asian? cars.So German cars were tried. Merc ? everything perfect and when pushed surprised with its competence. Audi & OPEL - bullet proof.7 Golfs and 4 Passat's. BLISS. In S'Pore a NISSAN - like a sewing machine - never faltered. In UK now a LandRover (love it & never let me down) and in PI a Honda 155 Trike and next visit buy a Susuki MultiVan. LOVE the TransAm but never driven one. Tom