Us Defense Officials Want Military Ban On Gays Lifted

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I am not sure about how many of you might feel about this but I think it will only cause problems, such as a eventual demand for separate dorms and outwardly gays picking up other gays. I think the don't ask don't tell seems to be a better way, because it is none of anybodies business what a person wishes to do with their private lives, but I also do not like seeing too men kissing in public and since the laws have changed and people have come out of the closet, it seems many gay people now like like to flaunt their gayness and I just do not feel those signs of affection are warranted in public. Now I have no problem with them acting like straight couple and holding hands etc. I do not wish this thread to turn into any gay bashing or those posts will be deleted, even if this thread is supposed to be unmoderated section, but people are welcome to answer while giving gays the respect that I feel they deserve. The full story hereSo how do member see this change working out?

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I don't have a problem with gays/lesbians in the military. If they want to serve their country they should be permitted to do so just like any other citizen. If there are problems with people not behaving according to the military rules, they can be dealt with on a case by case basis. I think there will be more problems with the heterosexuals discriminating and assaulting gays then there will be with gays behaving improperly. Those cases can be dealt with as they occur as well. All military members have sworn to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. The Constitution applies to all people, not just the ones that like the opposite sex. If soldiers can't respect the rights of homosexuals, they shouldn't be in the military to start with. There was the same furor over integrating blacks into the military and permitting women to serve. Both of those changes have worked out OK. There will be problems, but I think in time permitting openly gay soldiers will work out OK too.

UZI
Posted
Posted
I don't have a problem with gays/lesbians in the military. If they want to serve their country they should be permitted to do so just like any other citizen. If there are problems with people not behaving according to the military rules, they can be dealt with on a case by case basis. I think there will be more problems with the heterosexuals discriminating and assaulting gays then there will be with gays behaving improperly. Those cases can be dealt with as they occur as well. All military members have sworn to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. The Constitution applies to all people, not just the ones that like the opposite sex. If soldiers can't respect the rights of homosexuals, they shouldn't be in the military to start with. There was the same furor over integrating blacks into the military and permitting women to serve. Both of those changes have worked out OK. There will be problems, but I think in time permitting openly gay soldiers will work out OK too.
Well said SugarwareZ-003.gif

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Also there is only be small percentage of the honk tonk type gays that Lee seems to describe around,those sort probably would not be interested in walking in sand or fighting in the jungle. Most gays look and act like normal males or females,anyway must go put my lippy on:no:

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
What I did not realize is that most of the Western countries have already openly accepted gays in the military. There is precedent and proof that this can work. I also respect the opinion of the Military leadership including recently by Colin Powell, they believe this should be done. It is now hard to understand the opposition.