What Computer To Buy

Guardian
Posted
Posted

My computer too a dive and is now off an on so I was wondering what type of computer might be the best one to get? I hear Apple is less prone to viruses but they seem pretty expensive, then there are Acer, Dell, HP, Compaq and some others I never heard of before. I heard Gateway is owned by Acer so maybe no need to go that route. So many to pick from and then what the heck processor should I get? I am so confused after looking around and now feel more lost than before. Can anyone help me here, should I just buy cheap or should I buy one that may last me for many years? Thanks all.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
My computer too a dive and is now off an on so I was wondering what type of computer might be the best one to get? I hear Apple is less prone to viruses but they seem pretty expensive, then there are Acer, Dell, HP, Compaq and some others I never heard of before. I heard Gateway is owned by Acer so maybe no need to go that route. So many to pick from and then what the heck processor should I get? I am so confused after looking around and now feel more lost than before. Can anyone help me here, should I just buy cheap or should I buy one that may last me for many years? Thanks all.
The way computers seem to be changing on a daily basis, my guess would be that anything you buy which is not top of the line will be obsolete soon after. I bought a top of the line Sony a number of years ago and now it is basically equal to a netbook but with a dvd drive and still works great but is a little slower than my dual core Compaq laptop which is just the cheaper line of HP and works just as good but the case is very cheaply made and if I lean on the mouse then it does funny things, so I use an external mouse and it works great. I think everyone is going to have different opinions and while I have never tried an Apple, I think they might not be worth the money. It is going to depend on what you do with your computer. If all you do is forums and email, then almost anything will do IMO but I would stay away from a netbook unless you use one for travel and not a main computer. My only suggestion might be that you wait just a little longer and get yourself a quad core or pay a little more now and get one. They have also come out with a new faster processors c3 and c6 and I know nothing about those. Changing times, and IMO a cheap dual core with enough ram (at least 2GB but 4GB would be better) is all anyone who does not do graphics should ever need, so buy IMO an inexpensive quality laptop and then buy another one a few years from now if yours craps out again. Hope that helps.

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
You might also consider Lenovo. I worked for them for several years. A China company which acquired the IBM PC Division and Thinkpad brand. Before the recession they were #3 and rising to compete with Dell for #1. They were positioning to be the best engineered PCs. After the recession people were looking for cheap and they slipped behind Acer. Their Thinkpad models are among the better rated and they have sales and support offices globally. There is an office in SM in Cebu. Since working for them, it is the only model I own. The company I work for now supplies Dell and I'm forced to use it when in their office. As soon as I leave their office, I can't wait to get back to the Thinkpad. I'm a bit biased by a long history of use. If you are interested, please email off line and I can provide access to view the employee friends and family discount to which I still have access to.Please don't take this as any form of endorsement, recommendation, or effort to sell. I simply thought you should add it to your list to consider.

Singers
Posted
Posted

Since working for them, it is the only model I own. The company I work for now supplies Dell and I'm forced to use it when in their office. As soon as I leave their office, I can't wait to get back to the Thinkpad. I'm a bit biased by a long history of use. If you are interested, please email off line and I can provide access to view the employee friends and family discount to which I still have access to.Please don't take this as any form of endorsement, recommendation, or effort to sell. I simply thought you should add it to your list to consider.Buy a Apple! From the Apple online PI store... <http://store.apple.com/ph/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTAyNTQzMzg>Free shipping, now, from Singapore and price excellent.Tom

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Buy a Apple! From the Apple online PI store... <http://store.apple.com/ph/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTAyNTQzMzg>Free shipping, now, from Singapore and price excellent.Tom
Apple is a great product and you can't go wrong with this recommendation. My good friend Bob in Iloilo is a long time Apple fan and posted his recent experiences after aquiring a Windows machine for his wife on his web site.The only down side that he observed are that the skills and software are limited here in the Philippines as Windows is dominant. He can find Windows versions of software easily finding Apple is harder. I can find many people to help and work on systems and applications on Windows -- finding Apple skills is harder.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Buy a Apple! From the Apple online PI store... <http://store.apple.com/ph/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTAyNTQzMzg>Free shipping, now, from Singapore and price excellent.Tom
Apple is a great product and you can't go wrong with this recommendation. My good friend Bob in Iloilo is a long time Apple fan and posted his recent experiences after aquiring a Windows machine for his wife on his web site.The only down side that he observed are that the skills and software are limited here in the Philippines as Windows is dominant. He can find Windows versions of software easily finding Apple is harder. I can find many people to help and work on systems and applications on Windows -- finding Apple skills is harder.
Apple HD can now be "partitioned" ! Allowing a portion of the HD to be formatted "Windows", And used as Windows, so ALL windows "low cost" S'Ware can be installed and run - used on this Partition.. as with any PC -Acer-IBM-SONY Etc... ON A APPLE... then when tired of work on the segmented Windows portion of the APPLE drive one only has 2 restart in APPLE OS and PLAY...sophisticatedly and have FUN on a APPLE. My 1st real computer was a iMac... 10 years later I bought a IBM (HEADACHE).. I persisted and then gave it 2 my Bro in Law. Then thought "perhaps a hasty (cowardly) rejection of PC Win so 4 months ago I bought a HP It will go also..Mac -- the thinking mans PC...TomPS One only has 2 check eBay sold prices 4 a Mac against a 2nd. hand PC???!Direct from Apple S'Pore one gets the most "up 2 date" model...buying "on the ground" in PI ???One might wonder? Edited by Singers

UZI
Posted
Posted
Apple HD can now be "partitioned" ! Allowing a portion of the HD to be formatted "Windows", And used as Windows, so ALL windows "low cost" S'Ware can be installed and run - used on this Partition.. as with any PC -Acer-IBM-SONY Etc... ON A APPLE... then when tired of work on the segmented Windows portion of the APPLE drive one only has 2 restart in APPLE OS and PLAY...sophisticatedly and have FUN on a APPLE. My 1st real computer was a iMac... 10 years later I bought a IBM (HEADACHE).. I persisted and then gave it 2 my Bro in Law. Then thought "perhaps a hasty (cowardly) rejection of PC Win so 4 months ago I bought a HP It will go also..Mac -- the thinking mans PC...TomPS One only has 2 check eBay sold prices 4 a Mac against a 2nd. hand PC???!Direct from Apple S'Pore one gets the most "up 2 date" model...buying "on the ground" in PI ???One might wonder?
If the issue is with needing Windows programs like WORD, EXCEL or POWERPOINT etc then the easy solution is to use the FREE to use OpenOffice
OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose. OpenOffice.org 3 is really one piece of software. It also runs on all major computing platforms - Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, Sun Solaris, Apple Mac
Playing games I guess is an issue though.