Philippine Passport For Registered Children With Foreign Father

mat
Posted
Posted

Hi,My first post on this interesting forum. I am married to a Filipina and have been for 19 years. We have 3 children all born in Thailand. They all have British passports and live in the UK now. We registered the births with the Philippine Embasssy in Bangkok before we left in 1998. Is there any grounds for these children to apply for passports? I looked at the dual citizenship link but could not see that it would cover this type of application.Thanks to anyone who has any knowledge of this type of query.Mat in UK

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted
Hi,My first post on this interesting forum. I am married to a Filipina and have been for 19 years. We have 3 children all born in Thailand. They all have British passports and live in the UK now. We registered the births with the Philippine Embasssy in Bangkok before we left in 1998. Is there any grounds for these children to apply for passports? I looked at the dual citizenship link but could not see that it would cover this type of application.Thanks to anyone who has any knowledge of this type of query.Mat in UK
What was the status of your wife at the time the children were born? If she was not yet a British citizen then they are entitled to have full citizenship in the Philippines until the age of consent - 18. The fact that you registered their birth at the Philippines embassy makes it easy. They would submit this along with their passport applications to get Filipino passports.Otherwise, with your wife was a British citizen at the time of their birth and they are entitled to be dual citizens along with her. The advantage would only be here in the Philippines with entry and length of stay in the Philippines and access to schools here without additional visa requirements. If you are not concerned about the disadvantages and risks which are discussed in another thread, they could apply together on the same application.

mat
Posted
Posted
What was the status of your wife at the time the children were born? If she was not yet a British citizen then they are entitled to have full citizenship in the Philippines until the age of consent - 18. The fact that you registered their birth at the Philippines embassy makes it easy. They would submit this along with their passport applications to get Filipino passports.Otherwise, with your wife was a British citizen at the time of their birth and they are entitled to be dual citizens along with her. The advantage would only be here in the Philippines with entry and length of stay in the Philippines and access to schools here without additional visa requirements. If you are not concerned about the disadvantages and risks which are discussed in another thread, they could apply together on the same application.
Thank you for thereply. Very helpful. My wife was a philippine citizen back then and although she has 2 passports now the Phils one has expired and she uses the Brit one.Have a good day and thanks again.Mat