Smart Bro Share It

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

I recently got 2 x SmartBro share it for using on the netcafe as we are a bit far from the main road and nobody will invest in putting a DSL cable along it.. Anyway long story short they are promised upto "2mb" each. Yet the actual connection speed was general 40kbs across both and at some stages 0.03kb the ping didnt go below 750 and generally the service was just terrible. We have a Smart Bro Canopy service which is upto 1mb around 150ft away from the 2 routers and that gets a steady connection just below 1mb.The problem with Share it is a lot of the transceivers havent been upgraded yet and its worth avoiding the equipment as its just been nothing but a waste of money and time. Doesnt mean it wont work for others mind as the different locations make a huge difference. But unless you know neighbours who are having a good service I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I recently got 2 x SmartBro share it for using on the netcafe as we are a bit far from the main road and nobody will invest in putting a DSL cable along it.. Anyway long story short they are promised upto "2mb" each. Yet the actual connection speed was general 40kbs across both and at some stages 0.03kb the ping didnt go below 750 and generally the service was just terrible. We have a Smart Bro Canopy service which is upto 1mb around 150ft away from the 2 routers and that gets a steady connection just below 1mb.The problem with Share it is a lot of the transceivers havent been upgraded yet and its worth avoiding the equipment as its just been nothing but a waste of money and time. Doesnt mean it wont work for others mind as the different locations make a huge difference. But unless you know neighbours who are having a good service I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.
I've found that the key term in ISP services here is "up to." The actual speed you get is irrelevant. In your case, the crappy speeds you received are in fact "up to" 2 mb. I'm sure Smart didn't care too much when you called them. It doesn't seem to matter which plan I sign up for or how much I pay....I always have speeds right around .41 mbps. When I call to complain, the conversation goes something like this....ME: Hello, I'm only getting speeds of about 410 kbps and I'm on the 1 mbps plan. Can you see why my connection is so slow?ISP: Sir, we promise speeds of up to 1 mb, we don't guarantee speeds that high. Your speed of .41 is in the range of up to 1 mb. There is nothing we can do.ME: Ok. I'd like to drop my plan down to the 512 kbps price level since that's the speed I'm getting anyway.ISP: I'm sorry sir, you signed up for a 2 year contract on the 1 mbps service plan. You can't drop to a lower-cost package until your contract expires.ME: But I'm not getting speeds of up to 1 mbps, why should I have to pay for them?ISP: Yes you are. 410 kbps falls in the range of up to 1mbps. Can I help you with anything else?ME: But wait, you haven't helped me with anything yet. Can you tell me why I'm only getting speeds of 410 kbps when I have a 1 mbps plan?(repeat from line two until I get tired of it and hang up on them)The mobile phone and ISP companies in the Philippines make their US counterparts look like paragons of customer service in comparison.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

I get around .75 on the canopy. Which is why i disputed the Smart Share its in the first place as the ran slower than 1 canopy but cost twice as much. The "just give it 24hrs crap" ran for a month until I just took everything back and had it all terminated in Manila. I will be happy with a stable 1mb canopy connection as it runs faster than the 2 x "upto 2mbs" which in reality should be upto 4mbs as they were paired.. Waste of time and money hopefully get the canopy sorted this week although the seem to be stalling probably having tampo after having to have their junk back.. thumbs-up-smile.gif I dont ask for much from the Philippines but a good internet connection for any foreigner has to be near the top of the list..

• 3 months later...
OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

i have a warning for you all never never get digitel dsl we were locked into a 3 year contract and i couldnt tell you how many times the service went down !! and when we would call then they would say somebody stole the fiberoptic cable from the area or it should be up in a few days hahaha so we would ask what about a discount for the the time it was down IM SORRY SIR you have to apply for a rebate which would take months to show up on the bill !! plus it was only for maybe 200 pesos ( down for 3-4 days ) and beside that digitel dsl cost us 2000 a month including a landline which we never use but you need it to get the dsl connection !! but were kinda stuck with it coz not many options there i think we can get smart bro i will have to look into it but i need a fast connection I'm SPOILD haha but even if smart bro is slower but more reliable i can deal with it as long as it's always up and running beside we can save ourself prob 1000 pesos a month which means more juice for me hahaha OldUgly&Cranky